Reader reviews and comments on Icy Sparks, plus links to write your own review.

Icy Sparks

by Gwyn Hyman Rubio

Icy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman Rubio

Mar 2001, 308 pages
    Apr 2001, 308 pages

There are currently 17 reader reviews for Icy Sparks

mmmart (04/23/11)

Boring
This book was boring. It never really got good, it also took me a long time to read it since it was so boring.
msommer (06/07/08)

I kept waiting for it to pick up
Pretty boring. I like to read Oprah's Book Club books but this one did not do much for me. I kept waiting for it to get good. The middle section at the hospital was interesting and that was it. For the most part I was disappointed.
LaVelle Brown (03/13/08)

Icy Sparks
Great story that was seriously flawed by religion and the premise that God can cure or fix everything. Sections one and two are a pleasant read. Section 3 is driven by a word for word delivery of a fundamentalist Christian revival, It was offensive and did not add to the story. In the end, I found Icy Sparks to be a disappointment.
Sarah (11/04/06)

Disappointing End to a Universal Tale
The story of Icy Sparks is a gripping tale of a young girl as she copes with undiagnosed Tourettes syndrome. Icy is an inspirational character; her journey raises valid questions of acceptance and superficial judgement. From a stylistic point of view, the novel has a relatively fast paced and strong prose, using dialogue and description very effectively. The end of this book leaves the reader with little sense of finality, posing a simplistic remedy to Icy's disorder. It is unfortunate that such a strong and universally true narrative withers to such a weak and seemingly hasty end.
Jenna (01/22/05)

This book started strong and I truly enjoyed it but by the end of the book it seemed that it didn't know which genre it should be - a romance, a religious novel, etc? I don't recommend reading this book.
Phil (12/01/04)

Excellent - moving, endearing and will resonate after reading.
S.M.M (10/11/04)

Icy Sparks is not a book I probably would have picked up and read if it hadn't been assigned by a book club I belong to. Overall it was an enjoyable read. I felt the author did a good job of conveying the thoughts and emotions of a young girl who is "different." I notice someone else reviewing on this page liked the beginning and end, but not the middle - I found that intriging, because I enjoyed the beginning and middle but disliked the ending!!! Several members of our book club wondered if the ending had been written by a different author - Icy's character and habits seem to change so abruptly!! I thought the ending was flat.
Liz (02/09/04)

Icy Sparks is one of the best books I've ever read. I REALLY enjoyed it. I couldn't put it down. I had to read it for a class and I'm glad I did!

All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
  • Book Jacket: Strangers in Their Own Land
    Strangers in Their Own Land
    by Arlie Russell Hochschild
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    After receiving a letter from his childhood friend's father, Aaron Falk, a Melbourne police officer ...

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

Home Sweet Home
    by April Smith

From the widely praised author of the FBI Special Agent Ana Grey series, a stunning novel set in the McCarthy era.

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

K Your F C