Reader reviews and comments on The River King, plus links to write your own review.

The River King

by Alice Hoffman

The River King by Alice Hoffman

Jul 2000, 304 pages
    Jul 2001, 352 pages

There are currently 15 reader reviews for The River King

Dominic (10/31/15)

river king
I most often scan a book by the amount of conversation that it has. this book does not have a lot, but still moves right along. I really enjoyed it, and will read more of her stories.
Cindy E. (03/17/09)

Gripping story
Alice Hoffman is one of my favorite author and this is my favorite of all her novels. It mixes up mystery, romance, and the underlying element of hazing. It keeps one's attention throughout, and will not disappoint.
ELLEN (11/08/04)

Spellbinding. Hoffman is a master story teller. The River King establishes an atmosphere through Hoffman's fine detail of the Mass. town where the story takes place. She then interrelates two different plots that hold your attention through there twists and turns.
She masterfully intertwines mystery and romance.
Brett (08/05/04)

Although this book was unmatched in its display of feelings and emotion but it was so incredibly slow moving that i hardly got to the end, which did not complement the excellence of the rest of the novel.
Anonymous (04/22/04)

I think this is the best book, I had read in a long time, it held my interest from start to finish. I am a mature female but believe this book would appeal to all age groups.
Gao Lue Vang (05/01/03)

This book is amazing. I have never read anything as wonderful as this. This book is filled with so many feelings and I just couldn't put the book down.
Aly B. (04/30/03)

"The River King" was a very intriguing and well-written novel. I thought the story line and plot were superb and full of depth. As much as the plot was good, I felt the novel was mainly character-driven which also added to the brilliance of the novel because as a reader I felt like I knew these characters personally. This made the book emotionally exciting and rewarding. However, there were times when the author strayed away from the main plot of the story and got a little too wrapped up in the setting of the story which made some parts quite dull. Also some of the supposed main points of the story were never fully explained. There were also way too many extra characters that served absolutely no purpose in the story. They only confuse and complicate an already complicated story. But otherwise this book is excellent and I recommend it to all.
Mary (03/22/03)

Thank you again A.H. The River King took me somewhere else. Anyone who has enjoyed fairytales in their youth can recapture that certain something in Alice Hoffman's prose. Filled with mystery, magical atmosphere and interesting characters, The River king delivers.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Castle of Water
    by Mark Kurlansky
  • Book Jacket: Temporary People
    Temporary People
    by Deepak Unnikrishnan
    In this powerful and innovative collection of 28 short stories, Deepak Unnikrishnan presents a ...

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

If We Were Villains
    by M. L. Rio

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

It was one of the worst speeches I ever heard ... when a simple apology was all that was required.

Y S M B, I'll S Y