Reader reviews and comments on Jewel, plus links to write your own review.

Jewel

by Bret Lott

Jewel by Bret Lott

Jan 1999, 255 pages
    Jan 1999, 368 pages

There are currently 8 reader reviews for Jewel

Bev

Well written
I loved the book. Very well written. It did get a bit confusing as it went back and forth from times before and after. I finished it in one day. Very intriguing. Showed life as it used to be. But I am very confused. I did not understand the last chapter. Was she reliving the past in her mind or was it happening. It made me uneasy as I don't understand the end. Could someone please explain it for me?
Nancy Johnson

9-23-03

In the beginning, I almost added Mr. Lott's book, "Jewel", to the box of books I had discarded or read to be passed along to others. It was a used book, you see, with pages that kept falling out which, in the past, has been reason enough for me to give it up. But, I could not. Something kept me coming back to it and reading a few more pages in between my many other activities until I couldn’t put it down unless it was absolutely necessary. It literally "sucked" me into the lives of Jewel, Leston and their family. At first, I fairly skimmed over some sentences and/or paragraphs because the immense detail was almost overwhelming. Then, I caught myself backtracking so I wouldn’t miss anything. After that, I didn’t miss a word and read untill my eyes blurred.

On one hand, the meaning of “look around only to see that your life could be so much worse” was reinforced in my heart and mind, allowing me to give thanks for my life, knowing I would never be willing to trade it with anyone else's life. On the other hand, my life could have been much better if I had the amount of gumption, ability to commit and strength of character of “Jewel”.

I cried unchecked, pondered and reflected, able to see the positive about the wrongs in my life. I realize that, at times, we do what we have to do, without regret, excuses or apology. I thank God. It touched me very deeply and profoundly, and I consider his book an unexpected and valuable gift. Nancy Johnson, nanart02@aol.com -- www.artsyfaces.com

Crystalee

Now that I have successfully finished this book, (yes, in just a matter of days!) I can give it a rating of 5 stars!
SLK

Jewel is a very powerful novel by Bret Lott, describing the true hardships of raising a daughter who never grows up. Jewel is willing to go on a journey without any direction and without any money across the country in search of help for Brenda Kay. A very powerful and moving novel, one i truly couldn't put down.
ronan

jewel
This book so confusing , I become too lazy to read it.
Linda Anders

Jewel by BRET LOTT
This book was devastatingly boring. The writing has a very confusing style that goes back and forth in time without warning. It is very obscene and I think the author had a little too much fun using the "N" word. The writing is nor just poor, its GHASTLY!
Fahreen

this book was so long and it sucked!
i had to do it for a book report and I slept everytime i tried reading it!
Crystalee

"Jewel" is a story of compassion and love- between a mother and her special daughter, between her and her other children, and between her and her husband. This novel is very well-written and a definite page turner. Once you pick it up, you wont be able to put it down. The suspense between chapters leaves you wondering what is going to happen next, and the story is very heartwarming. I am only halfway through the novel, but I am loving it and finding myself reading numerous chapters in one day. The story is beckoning me now- I can't wait to see what happens now that Jewel has left behind her old life and has started a new one with her family!

My Name Is Leon