Reader reviews and comments on Cold Mountain, plus links to write your own review.

Cold Mountain

by Charles Frazier

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier X
Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier

Jun 1997, 356 pages
    Aug 1998, 449 pages

There are currently 38 reader reviews for Cold Mountain

This book is great! I am reading it for English class and it is the first book so far that I really like! The plot it great kinda confusing but if you keep reading it all falls into place. The book is great I can't wait to see the movie!

Cold Mountain
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This book was just incredible! It is so detailed and has a great storyline!
Puget Sound Reader

Pause, Reflect and Exhale
I did not want this book to end. It has been deeply satisfying, with moments of awe. The author has an ability to paint you into the scene, and the experience, with ease. Never forced, never a wasted word. Every image is instantly clear in my minds eye, even though it is absolutely foreign to anything I have known.
I have read this book aloud to my partner over a period of months and delighted in speaking old words new to my tongue. We find ourselves frequently retracing our steps simply to hear the beauty of the writing.
My most dearly loved book, To Kill A Mockingbird, has nearly been replaced. Cold Mountain will have to stand up to several more readings to take the title, if it can.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has a love of powerful imagery and language.

Wounderful piece of American literature.

I loved reading "Cold Mountain". the writer has captured the pure essence of mountain living in the civil war era. Some of his vocabulary stirred my imagination. One must haved lived in the "Cold Mountain" area and had a rich source of family background to know some of the wonderful phrases that the writer uses. Thank you Charles Fraizer for the book. Thank you for stirring memories of the mountains of Smokey Mountains and bringing those memories of the past to the present.
Please continue to bring us those books from that era

awesome well told tale. evokes scenes of the south not usually shown.

I haven't loved a book as much as I loved Cold Mountain in a long, long time. It will go on my all-time favorites list. Why did I enjoy it so? First and foremost, the writing--decriptions of time and space that simply put you there. You can't read about Ada sitting under the bush in her front year with the chicken droppings and not be there with her. I agree with another reviewer who likened this more to poetry than prose. Secondly, the characters. Ruby goes up there with Boo Radley for me. A truly unique character. Ada is more interesting to me than your typical pampered Southern Belle. And Inman? Is is possible to fall in love with a fictional man? Thirdly, the way nature is respected in this book is so close to my own view. Ruby's explanation of why certain flowers grow how they grow is a perfect example of the power and perfection of nature, and this view is repeated over and over again. Lastly, this book contains the single most romantic line I have ever read in fiction. I'll leave it a surprise to the lucky few who haven't read Cold Mountain to discover.

I could go on and on about how wonderful this book is.It's almost unfair to say I loved the book, a more accurate discription would be, I had a passion for it.Icannot say that about many books.The language in Cold Mountain just baffles the mind, it reads more like poetry than anything else,Charles Fraizer is a genius with short,go read the book. It's a life-altering experience.

• Book Jacket: Eat the Apple
    The Driest Season
    by Meghan Kenny

The House of Broken Angels
    by Luis Alberto Urrea

The definitive Mexican-American immigrant story from an acclaimed storyteller.

Win The Balcony