Reader reviews and comments on The Laws of Gravity, plus links to write your own review.

The Laws of Gravity

May 2013, 298 pages

There are currently 23 reader reviews for The Laws of Gravity

Tanya

Brilliant food for thought
Once in a great while a novel comes along that makes you think and feel more deeply. This novel gripped me from the beginning and held me throughout. I found it un-put-downable.

There are two main plots here, but they come together seamlessly when two cousins' battles land in the court of Solomon Richter, a decent man on the verge of retirement. It is an impossible case, yet he must come to a decision. Several subplot are woven into the main drama, creating moments of humor, pathos, tragedy and poetry. The ending is one of the most surprising and beautiful novel endings I've ever read. I will be on the lookout for more books by Rosenberg.
Kristen H. (Hagerstown, MD)

It's All Relative
Well written and riveting. I enjoyed reading this book and look forward to reading more from this author. I would recommend this book to book clubs, I feel that there would be many good discussions regarding this book.
Dawn C. (Meridian, ID)

Conundrum?
What a wonderful book! If you are a fan of Jodi Picoult's, then you are going to love Liz Rosenberg. She has written many novels, and this one is as good as it gets. Nicole and Ari are best friends and cousins. Nicole gets very sick, is on chemo but needs stem cells that Ari had saved from their baby's birth. Should he give them to help save Nicole's life? Does Nicole have the right to ask? Very complex family situation that this author tackles very well. There is great dialogue, humor, and excellent character development. I highly recommend this to anyone with a heart! Very moving, so be sure and have your tissues handy.
Linda W. (Summit, NJ)

Family and Friends
This story seesaws between two characters - Nicolle, a beautiful, young mother with a deadly disease and Solomon, a retiring Supreme Court judge - and their extended families. Both characters have a close and long term relationship with a family member and both have a dilemma weighing them down. The resolution of these dilemmas is the fodder for the story line.

Rosenberg's writing is lyrically descriptive, but her dialogue is choppy and punctuated with body language. I enjoyed the story and the book is very readable. There is no surprise at the end, but a satisfying conclusion ties up most of the loose ends. I found the intersection of new life and death with the diverse responses of various family members to be intriguing.
Kristen H. (Lowell, MA)

Family Ties
Family is extremely important but how far do you go to save someone when it could mean that your child might not be able to be saved in the future? This story calls into question the issue of saved cord blood and can a court force someone to give it to save someone in their family. The characters came alive for me and there were tears in my eyes almost through the whole book so be sure to keep a box of tissues nearby.
Elizabeth (Liz) Klein (Dallas, TX)

Engaging Characters and a Fascinating Story
I really enjoyed this book and could not put it down once I started it. The author creates an ensemble of believable characters with a lot of depth, a quality which puts this book on a higher plane. The story is intriguing - it makes the reader think. This novel is well worth reading, and I'm looking forward to more of Liz Rosenberg's work.
Cam G. (Murrells Inlet, SC)

The Laws of Gravity
This is a riveting novel about 2 cousins, Ari and Nicole-best friends from childhood. They grow up, marry and have children. Nicole discovers she has life threatening cancer, and her only chance is cord blood that Ari has banked. What will happen is what no close knit family would want to go through. Lives are forever changed. This is an emotional, heartrending story.
Darshell S. (Warwick, RI)

A Must Read
"The Laws of Gravity" is a heart-wrenching tale that will capture you from word one. On one side a young mother trying to stay alive and on the other a relative trying to do what he thinks is right for his family. Courtroom melodrama at its best! Ms. Rosenberg draws you in and doesn't let go. If you like Jodi Picoult, this one is definitely for you. Can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

Sources for Stem Cells

• Book Jacket: The Magnificent Esme Wells
    The Magnificent Esme Wells
    by Adrienne Sharp
    Esme Wells was not made to sit back and wait for her destiny. She was made to be magnificent. With ...
  • Book Jacket: Gateway to the Moon
    Gateway to the Moon
    by Mary Morris
    Miguel Torres is a teenager living in Entrada de la Luna, a poverty-stricken dot on the New Mexico ...
  • Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
    by Simon Targett, John Butman
  • Book Jacket: New World, Inc.
    New World, Inc.
    by Simon Targett, John Butman

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

Eternal Life
    by Dara Horn

The award-winning author returns with an ingenious novel about what it would mean to live forever.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people ...

I Wouldn't T H W A T-F P