Reader reviews and comments on The Queen's Lover, plus links to write your own review.

by Vanora Bennett

The Queen's Lover by Vanora Bennett

Mar 2010, 592 pages
    Mar 2011, 592 pages

There are currently 15 reader reviews for The Queen's Lover

Melanie J. (Rosemary Beach, FL)

The Queen's Lover
A good read. I love to read historical fiction and learn about the time period amidst the story. Ms. Bennett weaves some wonderful themes of love and commitment for children and the search for freedom. Sometimes I got bogged down in trying to remember the numerous characters as I read. The story is full of lots of twists and surprises with a wonderful ending!
Sandra L. (Newton, MA)

An insight into the real Tutors
This very long (over 500 pages) historical novel involves the merge of France and England in the 15th c . Part fiction and part historical you are involved from the beginning of the intrigue and diplomacy of the rise of the Tudors and the French connection.

All of the fiction is based on historical facts including the burning of Joan of Arc.
Slow to start, mainly because of the history involved, one becomes involved with the hurts and lives of Catherine Valaus This is a novel which shows the beginning of the Tudor Kings and Queens and if you are interested in how it all began, than this is novel for you.

Full of surprises and actions of the 15th C. England and France, this novel is highly recommended reading
Joanne V. (Towanda, PA)

The Queen's Lover
I loved this book! One of my favorite periods in English history and about two characters, Catherine Valois and Owain Tudor, that I had only read about peripherally in the many books I have read about the Lancaster/York and the War of the Roses. Catherine and Owain's grandson, Henry VII ultimately defeated Richard III one of my favorite Kings and one of the most unfairly maligned ending the War of the Roses, and it was interesting to learn about Owain Tudor especially. I would recommend this to anyone who loves historical fiction!
Judith P. (rosebud, missouri)

Bring History to Life
I enjoyed this book because it takes characters from history and makes them real people. One has no idea of the hardships of royalty. You can identify with the constant struggles of survival. The intrigue and subterfuge needed to maintain one's life becomes ever-present. Love and disappointment go hand in hand.
Lesley F. (San Diego, CA)

Enhanced History AND a Love Story!
Great historical fiction gives the reader deeper understanding of the times and people depicted. Vanora Bennett allows me to finally comprehend the deep differences between the French and English undiscovered in both Shakespeare's Henry V and the tragic tale of Saint Joan. The anticipation that builds in this true love story, is reminiscent of Austen or the Bronte sisters and is also an excellent read for a history buff!
Shirley L. (Norco, LA)

The Queen's Lover
Early 15th century England and France were not easy places to be if you were female even if you were of royal blood. Catherine of Valois, her mother Isabeau, and writer Christine were wonderful characters to tell this story of kings, conflict, betrayals and palace intrigue. The story starts slowly; the first hundred pages read more like history than a novel. The pace picks up and delivers a satisfactory ending.
Russell P. (Nashville, TN)

Now Here's Something to Talk About
What a masterfully written novel. Ms. Bennett pens a wondrous tale of young love, and its maturation. Filled with memorable characters, vivid descriptions, and attention to detail we are served a fictitious novel based on historical facts. If you love romance The Queen’s Lover will not disappoint. The plots and subplots sweep you into a whirlwind tale filled with heroes, villains, war, greed, manipulation, deceit, betrayal, fear, laughter, separation, and hope just to name a few of its many elements. Then the story really gets interesting!
Power Reviewer Peggy K. (Long Beach, CA)

Forbidden Love
I have a deep attachment to the Tudors. I love history and it has been years since I read such a wonderful book dealing with them and few books really have been out there about the man who started the Tudor line. I had some familiarity with the characters but this book is so beautifully detailed it is an amazing read. Part factual and part fiction it may be but it is one of the most enjoyable books I've read this year. Readers who like a bit of history in their fiction will love this book. Thank you Ms. Bennett. I'd truly forgotten how fascinating this period of history could be.

Christine de Pizan

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: The Blind
    The Blind
    by A.F. Brady
    In The Blind, A. F. Brady, a licensed psychotherapist, takes readers inside a residential ...
  • Book Jacket: The Rules of Magic

by Alison McGhee

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F