Reader reviews and comments on Cutting For Stone, plus links to write your own review.

Cutting For Stone

Lucia Silva

There are currently 33 reader reviews for Cutting For Stone

Power Reviewer Becky H

interesting on many levels
Although long (perhaps a bit too long), this tale of brothers holds your attention. When an Italian nun, woefully unprepared for a mission in Africa, turns up at a medical mission in Ethiopia, she is welcomed because of her skill with patients and her ability to serve as nurse to a highly skilled but disconnected surgeon. After she gives birth unexpectedly to twin boys, the story switches to the boys, raised at the mission, and the “family” at the mission that raises them to adulthood.
World War II and the civil war that later divides Ethiopia into political factions serve as the background for this fascinating tale of medicine, natives, doctors, politicians and family. Secrets and intrigue abound and are satisfyingly brought to a conclusion as the two boys search for their birth father and fulfilling lives in the midst of great love and great upheaval.
5 of 5 stars
Dave

Cutting for Stone
Our all-guys bookclub read this in a joint meeting with our spouse's all-girls bookclub -- everyone found this book to be an absolutely fascinating read about an area of the world few of us knew much about and a story line, rich characters, and sweeping prose that is first rate.
Sue Zugaj

LISTEN TO THIS BOOK
The audio book is one of the best I've listened to. Some narrators 'read' to you.....this narrator brings the country and the characters to life - you are entertained and educated and won't be disappointed.
CMLewis

My thoughts & questions
I am almost finished - have really been saving the last few pages because I am in the process of reviewing contents. This has been an interesting book - many layers for all characters- right now I am trying to go back and find a direct reference to the title - I remember seeing it in the text. I have thought about the title a lot. This book would be ideal for someone who has done mission work / medical work for needy. I have worked at reading this book - it has taken me a week off and on, because I keep finding things I want to figure out. I loved Ghosh best of all characters. CML
Andy Greensfelder

Complexity of Character
I loved Cutting for Stone, including for some of the reasons it is criticized, like the inclusion of descriptions of medical procedures. Mostly I love the characterization of the narrator, Marion Stone, for the complex combination of sympathetic and maddening behavior, and attitudes. Marion sees his world through eyes that the reader knows often distort what he sees, a condition that is sometimes true for all of us. The distortions lead to both wonderful and disastrous decisions.
Suzy . Cape Town

Cutting for Stone
Thank you Dr Verghese for writing this superb book.

It has been a long while since I have been so engrossed in the characters,enthralled by the story line, whilst opening my eyes to a great many subjects that until now I was ignorant of.

Your use of the English language was extraordinarily beautiful even when discussing some of the rarer more disturbing medical facts.

It has been a month since I (sadly) finished Cutting for Stone and it still moves me, to the extent of writing this review, something I have not done with any other book!

I very much look forward to more work from you!
susan

Cutting For Stone
I loved this book! I'm very interested in books with medical subjects. I found myself reading the first 100 or so pages with a world map by my side---it was a great geography and history lesson as I knew very little about that part of the world. When I finished the book I reread the prologue and first part again----it really tied it all together!!
Jerry

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
I liked this book! I especially admired how Verghese vividly described the primary characters' unvarnished gut feelings and urges: love and hate, unrequited love and betrayal, excessive self-centeredness, compassion toward others, necessary self-survival actions and the resulting guilt and fear and a willingness to give up one's life for the sake of another. I will definitely remember the humanness of these characters.

Much of the book takes place in Ethiopia. Verghese describes the political turmoil which took place in that country throughout much of the twentieth century. He also realistically describes how honorable people had to "play politics" with despots to protect themselves and their non-government organization (in this case a hospital for the poor) in a third-world country. I gained a greater appreciation for the work Doctors Without Borders, Catholic Charities and others are doing.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: The Rules of Magic

by Alison McGhee

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F