Reader reviews and comments on Cutting For Stone, plus links to write your own review.

Cutting For Stone

Jan 2010, 560 pages

Lucia Silva

There are currently 34 reader reviews for Cutting For Stone

Andrea

One of my favorite books
This book is fantastic!
Becky H

interesting on many levels
Although long (perhaps a bit too long), this tale of brothers holds your attention. When an Italian nun, woefully unprepared for a mission in Africa, turns up at a medical mission in Ethiopia, she is welcomed because of her skill with patients and her ability to serve as nurse to a highly skilled but disconnected surgeon. After she gives birth unexpectedly to twin boys, the story switches to the boys, raised at the mission, and the “family” at the mission that raises them to adulthood.
World War II and the civil war that later divides Ethiopia into political factions serve as the background for this fascinating tale of medicine, natives, doctors, politicians and family. Secrets and intrigue abound and are satisfyingly brought to a conclusion as the two boys search for their birth father and fulfilling lives in the midst of great love and great upheaval.
5 of 5 stars
Dave

Cutting for Stone
Our all-guys bookclub read this in a joint meeting with our spouse's all-girls bookclub -- everyone found this book to be an absolutely fascinating read about an area of the world few of us knew much about and a story line, rich characters, and sweeping prose that is first rate.
Sue Zugaj

LISTEN TO THIS BOOK
The audio book is one of the best I've listened to. Some narrators 'read' to you.....this narrator brings the country and the characters to life - you are entertained and educated and won't be disappointed.
CMLewis

My thoughts & questions
I am almost finished - have really been saving the last few pages because I am in the process of reviewing contents. This has been an interesting book - many layers for all characters- right now I am trying to go back and find a direct reference to the title - I remember seeing it in the text. I have thought about the title a lot. This book would be ideal for someone who has done mission work / medical work for needy. I have worked at reading this book - it has taken me a week off and on, because I keep finding things I want to figure out. I loved Ghosh best of all characters. CML
Andy Greensfelder

Complexity of Character
I loved Cutting for Stone, including for some of the reasons it is criticized, like the inclusion of descriptions of medical procedures. Mostly I love the characterization of the narrator, Marion Stone, for the complex combination of sympathetic and maddening behavior, and attitudes. Marion sees his world through eyes that the reader knows often distort what he sees, a condition that is sometimes true for all of us. The distortions lead to both wonderful and disastrous decisions.
Suzy . Cape Town

Cutting for Stone
Thank you Dr Verghese for writing this superb book.

It has been a long while since I have been so engrossed in the characters,enthralled by the story line, whilst opening my eyes to a great many subjects that until now I was ignorant of.

Your use of the English language was extraordinarily beautiful even when discussing some of the rarer more disturbing medical facts.

It has been a month since I (sadly) finished Cutting for Stone and it still moves me, to the extent of writing this review, something I have not done with any other book!

I very much look forward to more work from you!
susan

Cutting For Stone
I loved this book! I'm very interested in books with medical subjects. I found myself reading the first 100 or so pages with a world map by my side---it was a great geography and history lesson as I knew very little about that part of the world. When I finished the book I reread the prologue and first part again----it really tied it all together!!

• Book Jacket: I Found My Tribe

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes