Reader reviews and comments on The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, plus links to write your own review.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

Amy Reading

There are currently 39 reader reviews for The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

Sara

A Change in Perspective
Before I read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, big books really weren't my thing. I picked it up because my Aunt was reading it, and once I did I rarely put it down - not during school, on the bus, or at home. Edgar taught me that just because you feel useless, doesn't mean you are. He taught me that being alone can be better for you than not. He taught me that one's self is not always the most important thing, and that letting go is a good thing - but only after you've taken care of everything that needs to be. I passed the book on, so the copy of my Aunt's has been read by people in Maryland, Mexico, Georgia, and New York. If that's not a good book, what is?
jenna

disappointed ending
Despite the disappointing ending I couldn't put the book down. I re-read the last few chapters to make sure I was I hadn't missed something. I felt very sad at the end as there was nothing positive after all of Edgar's hard work. I was in love with all of the Dogs especially Almondine. What a special relationship Edgar had with the dogs.Poor Trudy she endured so much. Just wish things had ended differently.
Gloria Kent

A most satisfying read!
This is not a particularly easy read. It is truly meant for the serious student of the novel. Almost 600 pages. I must admit, it took me the first 40 pages or so before I was truly into it. But, oh my, those pages were so worth the time. This book was one of the most heartfelt, endearing and at the same time tragic stories I have ever read. I will now go back and read it again. This time i will take my time and truly take each word to my heart!
Karlene

The story of Edgar Sawtell
I loved the book. It was well written, had a very unique plot, and interesting characters, even the dogs. Yes it was sad, but so is real life at times. It kept my interest all the way through. And when I finished it, it stayed with me for days.
Phyllis Natanek

In My Top Twenty
I chose this book for our Book Club, having heard the good, the bad and the ugly as far as reviews went. Controversy appeals to me!
I could not stop reading 'Edgar Sawtelle'. I found the writing style quite suited to the book, and quite pleasing to me.
The story's substance was foreshadowed in the Prologue, and this was the first taste of the Elizabethen flavor that seasoned the chapters.
And now I will speak of the dogs. I raised, trained and bred dogs for over 20 years. Large dogs. The 'Sawtelle' dogs are believable, are possible. Breeding for their peculiar area of intelligence is also within the realm of reality.
I do believe that with my background in animal husbandry, a degree in English, a love of Shakespeare, and a senior's life experiences that I got a lot out of this truly magnificent book.
Emily 3

The Beautiful Story!! 3
This story was, I think one of the best,THE best books I have ever read,I am 12 years old and the chapter about Almondine moved me to tears.(And the last chapter.) Sad ending but sort of bitter sweet.This book was very touching and I loved the connection between Edgar, Almondine, and the kennel dogs! I also love how you included everyone's point of view too. Henry was a good person to add into the story as well.JOB WELL DONE!!! Keep writing!!! OH...and please write a sequel!!!
Molly Stevens

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
The book captivated me. The minute I closed the book, I turned it over and reread it. So much more clarity,understanding and appreciation emerged the second time around. I have never had a book affect me as this one did.The author had incredible insight into all the characters' including the dogs points of view!!
Kathy Evans

Beautifulinsightful book
I thought that this was one of the best books I have ever read. Wroblewski's insight into the minds of dogs took my breath away. Right down to the fact that their feet "smell like popcorn" was right on target. I'm 66 and have raised, trained and rescued dogs all my adult life and simply marveled at his apparent relationship with dogs.

I'm also a retired school teacher and have worked with special needs kids. The coming of age of Edgar was heart warming, sad, funny and so believable. What a wonderful guy and so good with the dogs. His training techniques were brilliant and the care he showed toward the adult dogs and the puppies could be an example for any of us who love and live with dogs.

As for the ending...that's life guys. We can't always have all the answers all the time. Sure it was sad, however, it was believable. Just like real life, we sometimes have to fill in the blanks. It's upsetting in real life as well, but, that's the way it is.

I would strongly recommend this book. Being a retired reading specialist, however, I would tend to recommend it to adult readers regardless of age.
In order to be able to deal with the "unusual" ending and to have it not ruin this beautiful book one needs to understand that not all stories are going to have a predictable ending or one that we necessarily like. In the case of "Edgar Sawtelle" you simply need to put together everything that happened in the book and to Edgar to be able to come up with your own ending. I enjoyed the challenge after getting over the temporary disappointment.

• Book Jacket: Killers of the Flower Moon
    Killers of the Flower Moon
    by David Grann
    Voted 2017 Best Nonfiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

The long, sorrowful list of injustices done ...
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    Voted 2017 Best Debut Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

After receiving a letter from his childhood...
  • Book Jacket: Little Fires Everywhere
    Little Fires Everywhere
    by Celeste Ng
    Voted 2017 Best Fiction by BookBrowse's Subscribers

Small towns, big drama. Acclaimed author ...
  • Book Jacket: La Belle Sauvage
    La Belle Sauvage
    by Philip Pullman
    Voted 2017 Best Young Adult Novel by BookBrowse's Subscribers

I wasn't quite sure what to expect ...

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers