Reader reviews and comments on The Pirate's Daughter, plus links to write your own review.

The Pirate's Daughter

by Margaret Cezair-Thompson

The Pirate's Daughter

Oct 2007, 432 pages
    Aug 2008, 432 pages

There are currently 20 reader reviews for The Pirate's Daughter

Kaley (09/18/10)

Fantastic book
This is one of the most entertaining books I've ever read!
I pray the author is writing another book soon.
Kathy (07/23/08)

Excellent - didn't want to put it down
I SO enjoyed this book. I thought the premise was intriguing (Errol Flynn fathering a child in Jamaica), although Flynn is not the main character, and actually, comes off as sort of a self-absorbed, pitiful character. the book was rich with details about Jamaica, of which I know little. I always enjoy multi-generational tales, especially ones that take me to another time and place. I found myself thinking about the characters when I wasn't reading, and didn't want the book to end. I enjoyed the dialogue and even if I didn't like all the characters, I came to care about them. I don't know that I would have picked the book on my own, so I really appreciated the opportunity to read and comment on it.
Deborah (05/07/08)

Family and Identity
An imaginative, touching book about love, the longing for family, and the search for identity. Both Ida and May are caught among racial identities (African, Chinese, Caucasian) in the changing Jamaica of the 1960s and beyond. The author portrays perfectly the prickly relationship between mother and daughter, especially Ida's need to protect May. Cezair-Thompson writes beautifully, and she clearly has a mastery of Jamaican dialect and customs. I highly recommend this wonderful novel.
Kathy (10/10/07)

Excellent - didn't want to put it down
Sandra (10/10/07)

Hooray for Cezair-Thompson
I can hardly wait to hear from Margaret Cezair-Thompson again. I was delighted to read a book in which I enjoyed the main characters. I did not always like what they did but I still liked them The supporting characters lent such a wonderful and sometimes frightening background. This is a book not only about mothers and daughters but parents and children. The choices made always bring unexpected results. This is a real page-turner. Enjoy!
Deb (10/10/07)

Just a lovely book!
I would recommend this book to anyone as it has something to offer a reader at many different levels. Family, romance, Hollywood, Jamaica, and the areas where they connect. I was apprehensive about writing a review, but this book made it easy. Please grab a copy!
Power Reviewer Sue (10/10/07)

An Engrossing Read
Combining the sultry, yet exciting, atmosphere of Jamaica with the glamor of “Old Hollywood”, this novel evokes feelings that are both unsettling and nostalgic. The characters are as rich and varied as the setting, and in their search for themselves, the women, especially, come to life - you will remember May and Ida long after the book is finished. Both of them, coming of age a generation apart, weave relationships and intrigues that will fascinate the reader.
Phoenix (10/10/07)

Movie stars, pirates and treasures, oh, my!
This was a thrilling read. It transports you to Jamaica at the glamorous time of Flynn and Monroe and brings you a vision of a young girl's future. We see May transform from a disillusioned tomboy who never gets a chance to have a relationship with her father to a caring and compasionate young woman.

It is a vacation in Jamaica with a taste of political change and exciting characters. If you are very still, you can feel the breeze and hear the reggae music.

Don't miss this brilliant novel.

Stalin's Daughter

Falling
    by Jane Green

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All