Reader reviews and comments on Standing In The Rainbow, plus links to write your own review.

Standing In The Rainbow

by Fannie Flagg

Standing In The Rainbow by Fannie Flagg

Aug 2002, 464 pages
    Jun 2003, 464 pages

There are currently 10 reader reviews for Standing In The Rainbow

Joan M Burke

It's Better Than Very Good
I've been doing a lot of reading lately (because of access to a lot of books (I work in Model Homes) and this book is unbelievably good. True-life great moments and lots of laughs. Wish it had been made into a movie. Kathy Bates would have had to have a part in it. Give me more time and Ill come up with others that should star in it but definitely Kathy Bates as Dorothy.
Anonymous

I have been an avid reader since age 8, but when I finished reading Standing In the Rainbow I did something I have never done before; I turned back to page 1 and read it all over again.
Keith Chawgo

I have just finished reading 'Standing in the Rainbow' and all I have to say is what a brilliant and awe inspiring work. I felt that I had become a part of these characters lives and the changes for which each character undergoes was trully magically intertwined with real life. The author was able to take fictional characters in a realistic timeframe and intergrate them to the most amazing tapestry of a time gone by, from the loss of innocence of days gone by to the changing times of the modern world that we now live in. It made a cynic like me wonder with all the technology at our finger tips that we have lost the spirit of community and caring for one another. It made me yearn for a time that I had not even been part of. This is a great book to recommend to anyone interested in real life proposed in a fictional world. Fannie Flagg is a true master at work and I was lost in her world and can't wait to see what she writes next. The only downfall of the book is that when it is finished, I, personally, feel that I have lost a community and a host of friends. I hated it to end and would love to go back to Elmswood Springs and discover new slices of Americana life. A true gem.

simply brilliant...
Anonymous

Fannie Flagg brings a past era to life in such vivid detail that we who were not alive during that era look back upon it with a great deal of nostlgia. Each character becomes a friend and at novels end we feel that we have lost something wonderful. Walsh.
Alice

Good Read. Very relaxing. Light, but yet with little twists you don't see coming. The characters really came to life for me, and I became addicted to each one.
Ricky Kopp

This was one of the best books I have read in years. I couldn't wait to get back to it each night and see what was going to happen next.
The characters began to feel like family and friends.
Thanks to Fannie for a wonderful time.
Would also make a great movie.
Brenda

I hadn't read a Fannie Flagg book in years (I did read "FRIED GREEN TOMATOES AT THE WHISTLE STOP CAFE" but I started reading the book and I couldn't stop reading to find out what happend to the characters and their families.
I laughed so much My jaw ached and I cried also.
These characters become a whole new family and the reading can imagine the town and all the stores and shops.
The town I grew up in once had a very thriving downtown but as in the book but once the malls open up and the "WALMARTS" start coming to town, the small town businessMan is a thing of the past.
I would recommend this book to anyone that wants to have a trip to a wonderful small town in MISSOURI and grow to love the characters and the town as I did.
Love the book Fannie Flagg and I would love to see another book about these characters again and maybe find out more about Betty Raye or even Beatrice.
Elmwood Springs will also be a wonderful part of the past that many of Us grew up and will fondly always remember "NEIGHBOR DOROTHY" will a smile

• Book Jacket: The Amber Shadows
    The Amber Shadows
    by Lucy Ribchester
    The Amber Shadows sweeps readers into the realm of World War II-era Britain where Honor "Honey" ...
  • Book Jacket: Midwinter Break

Love and Other Consolation Prizes
    by Jamie Ford

Win If the Creek Don't Rise

If the Creek Don't Rise

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Y Can't M A S P O O A S E