Read what people think about A Paris Apartment by Michelle Gable, and write your own review.

by Michelle Gable

• Readers' rating:

• Published in USA  Apr 2014

There are currently 22 reader reviews for A Paris Apartment

Barbara K. (Brooklyn, NY) (03/15/14)

A Mystery in Paris
I never thought that I would enjoy reading a novel about furniture but A Paris Apartment by Michelle Gable has proven me wrong.It is also the story of two women. April Vogt is a New York furniture appraiser sent to Paris to evaluate the contents in an apartment once owned by Marthe de Florian who abandoned it and its possessions in 1940, never to return.
The mystery of who Marthe de Florian was and why this apartment has been vacant for 70 years kept me intrigued but the story unfolds as April begins to read Marthe's diaries.
This unusual tale was well written, kept me guessing and was infused with the atmosphere of Paris, both past and present. I recommend it.
Joselle K. (Saratoga, CA) (03/14/14)

Boring and trite
Not much more to add to that....I am always interested in reading about Paris and the story sounded promising. However, the writing here is amateurish and actually distracts from the story. It was really difficult to keep reading. Blech!
Randi H. (Bronx, NY) (03/13/14)

A Paris Apartment
Wow -- what I book! I literally could not put it down. Reading A Paris Apartment, I became immersed in the lives of two women in France - April Vogt in the present, and Marthe de Florian living in the Belle Epoque. April's job is to inventory the furnishings and assorted memorabilia found in Marthe's apartment, which had not been seen in 70 years. April finds Marthe's journals, and becomes rather obsessed with Marthe's life.
The setting is great for anyone who enjoys Paris, and the apartment at the center of the story was apparently real. The heart of the story revolves around the two women, both of whom are trying to find their way in the lives and their loves.
Highly recommended!
Joan W. (Orion, MI) (03/12/14)

Paris!
I love these kinds of stories – two stories in one – one present day and the other past. April is a furniture expert who goes to Paris to review and set up an auction of very old furniture in an apartment closed up for 70 years. In the process she finds the diaries/journals of the previous owner. She knows these journals will help in the auction - in the present day her marriage is on a teeter totter, not sure whether it is up or down, possible divorce. It is a little intertwining but the story is a good one. She has some issues as well that she hadn't shared and has been held inside for too long. All in all, it makes me want to go to Paris and to find new love and friendships. Very good story. I would definitely recommend it. As I said earlier, this is my kind of story – and that is what it is, a good story without all the language and such that are in others.
Laurie F. (Brookline, MA) (03/12/14)

Interesting topic. Not such an interesting read
Paris, the world of antiques, discovery, self assessment - it all sounds like the basis of a good novel. Unfortunately, the writing is more like a mass-market paperback rather than the quality of good fiction. I found the story line a bit cliché. Just was not my cup of tea.
Jan C. (San Antonio, TX) (03/10/14)

Paris works its magic!
Could not put this book down! Two stories at once! What a bargain! April is the "furniture" expert for an auction company. As she discovers treasures in the apartment which has been shuttered for 70 years, she also discovers journals of the woman who owned the apartment. The journalist comes alive for April, giving her a passion for the just how the treasures should be auctioned. As her stay in Paris progresses she comes to terms with her own marriage and life in New York and discovers a new kind of relationship with the handsome Parisian solicitor. Thoroughly enjoyed the author's knowledge of the auction world, antiques and the Belle Epoque era. A great read.

• Book Jacket: The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko

Underground Airlines
    by Ben Winters

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

This Must Be the Place