Read what people think about Glitter and Glue by Kelly Corrigan, and write your own review.

Glitter and Glue

A Memoir

by Kelly Corrigan

Glitter and Glue

• Published in USA  Feb 2014
    Genre: Biographies & Memoirs

There are currently 28 reader reviews for Glitter and Glue

Ann O. (Kansas City, MO) (02/04/14)

A Heartfelt Memoir
I loved Glitter and Glue. Reading it made me feel as if I were talking to my best friend who was telling me her story about the five months when she launched herself far from home into a country – and family -- she didn't know. It is an honest and heartfelt memoir about her experience caring for children who had lost their mother, children who pretended not to need her, but did ultimately need her. It is funny, endearing and loving.
Ann Otto (01/20/14)

A Hearfelt Memoir
I loved Glitter and Glue. Reading it made me feel as if I were talking to my best friend who was telling me her story about the five months when she launched herself far from home into a country – and family -- she didn’t know. It is an honest and heartfelt memoir about her experience caring for children who had lost their mother, children who pretended not to need her, but did ultimately need her. It is funny, endearing and loving.
Gunta K. (Glens Falls, NY) (01/16/14)

Stating the obvious
I did not fall in love with Kelly Corrigan's memoir. Her intense and clearly meant to be amusing criticisms of her mother and her parenting skills are unfair and show Kelly's immaturity. leaving the country to backpack overseas to experience "life" is irresponsible as her parents have invested in Kelly's college education and want the best for her. So the "best" turns out to be a job as a nanny in Australia. The one thing this job does do is created the realization in Kelly that she misses her family and needs her mother. This kind of blow by blow description of one's growing up may be quite satisfactory to the individual's immediate family but does nothing for anyone else. Once Kelly became quite ill she understood that the only person on this planet who could help her walk through this disaster was her mom.
Susan H. (Chappaqua, NY) (01/13/14)

mothers are grand!
I really enjoyed this book. I had a very special relationship with my mom … reached for the phone to call her a number of times reading the book …. she passed away a number of years ago and I still think of her daily. I have a wonderful relationship with my young adult daughter and gave her the book to read. She often says mothers are the glue!!!!
Amber B. (East Sparta, OH) (01/03/14)

More than meets the eye
I really enjoyed Glitter and Glue - the first person I texted after reading it was my own mother - with the words, "I have a book for you!"
The memoir leaves one with much to think about - in terms of parenting, romantic relationships, what it means to be a son or daughter, and especially about your own mortality... what you leave behind.
I found myself turning down lots of pages to come back to certain phrases and sections to jot down and revisit.
Happy reading!
Diane D. (Blairstown, NJ) (12/29/13)

Interesting Memoir!
I can't place my finger on just why I liked this book so much, but I sure did. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that my parents moved to Australia, when they got married, and I wanted to know more about the people there. Of course, as it turned out, people are the same everywhere.

Kelly seemed to learn a lot about herself by being a nanny for the two young children, who had lost their mother; and it was interesting to see how she understood her mother more, as the time went on. It would be interesting to hear how my reading group would respond to this book, since it makes me wonder if everyone misunderstands their mothers till they are older and have more experience in life.

I would have liked to have read more, but maybe that's another story for another book.
Rosemary S. (Somers, NY) (12/28/13)

A Daughter Must-Read
The mother-daughter relationship is often very complex and unique. Corrigan begins her memoir as a young woman, who travels the world with her college roommate. I liked that the author not only included her own inner voice, but also her mother's and how she would have responded in different situations. I laughed when I recognized some of the same phrases my mother had used when I was growing up. I found the author's sometimes blunt words refreshing because I know similar thoughts go through my own head! I liked this style of writing because I could easily relate to it and it held my interest.

I would recommend this book to any woman, but especially to someone who is mature enough to have insight into the special bond between daughters and mothers. Having recently lost my own mother, this book had special meaning and brought a few tears to my eyes. As the story unfolds, I found myself thinking of the important roles other people have played in my own life.

I believe this would be a good book for a bookclub discussion because of the many themes involved. A few of the themes in the book are loss and grief, coming of age, motherhood, women and self discovery, and the wisdom that comes from experience. This author points out the fact that we often find it difficult to respect, or appreciate our mothers until after they are no longer with us. Her voice may continue in our own heads, hopefully in mine, forever.
Jill F. (Blackwood, NJ) (12/27/13)

Surprisingly poignant
I didn't think I was going to like this book at first. I had a hard time relating to it and kept waiting for something to happen. I eventually realized that is the point. This book is about a life, and the every day ups and downs, not a tragic or life altering event like "The Middle Place, by Ms. Corrigan." It is about the relationship between a mother and daughter and the understanding and love that grows stronger with time. My opinion of this book was definitely formed by the Concept of "Reader Response' that the author mentions on page 146. As someone who is dealing with an elderly mother, watching her fade has been extremely difficult. I recommend this book for anyone who is going through a similar experience. It reminded me of how precious the mother/daughter relationship is, even when strained, how we, as women and mothers, are shaped by that relationship. And how eventually we all come to the same place, more like our mothers than we care to admit for good or bad.

• Book Jacket: Harmony
    A Gentleman in Moscow
    by Amor Towles

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

Circling the Sun
by Paula McLain

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review