Read what people think about Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany, and write your own review.

by Amy Hatvany

• Published in USA  Mar 2014

There are currently 67 reader reviews for Safe with Me

Virginia M. (San Antonio, TX) (11/06/13)

I liked it!
I really enjoyed this book, which is a contemporary novel, even though my favorite type of book is historical fiction. The story moved with an appropriate speed, I felt as though the characters were very life-like and believable, the story line grabbed my heart without being maudlin, and the ending gave me a sense of satisfaction. The setting is Seattle WA and it involves Hannah, the mother of a pre-teen who is fatally injured in an accident. After being told that her child is brain-dead, she is forced to decide whether to donate her daughter's organs. While this would be a noble action, it also requires quick action and means saying a quick goodbye to her daughter. A year later and quite by chance, Maddie who is one of the organ recipients (another teenager) and Olivia her mother who now also live in Seattle come in to the beauty salon owned by Hannah. Maddie and Olivia have no idea who Hannah is but Hannah figures it out. It eventually is revealed that the father of that teenager is a dominating abuser who has forbid the family from attempting to contact the organ donator. The dynamics of the story involves the decisions that must be made if the secrets each of the three are to be revealed.

Narration of the novel is shared by the three and so the reader is able to understand each individual's point of view. While switching back and forth between narrators could have presented a difficult and disjointed situation, the author's writing style makes it very easy for the reader to accommodate and benefit from getting into the brain of all three characters.

I would recommend this book to everyone.

I received this book through the First Impression program of Book Browse. That fact did not impact my review in any way.
Daryl B. (Poolesville, MD) (11/05/13)

Heroic Women in Safe With Me
As I received this book as an advance copy and the publication date is till 2014, I was sad to be unable to use it as my current book club choice. I loved it and think the other ladies would too! It was a quick read, but partly because I didn't want to put it down. It touches on several sensitive issues-spousal abuse, organ donation and death of a child among others. The central characters are all dealing with major life challenges - Hannah with the death of her daughter, Olivia with an abusive husband and sick daughter, and Maddie, not only dealing with the physical trauma of being sick for so long, but having a violent, controlling father.
Asha K. (Bellerose, NY) (11/03/13)

Safe with Me
I got this advance copy from bookbrowse for which I am extremely grateful.
It is a quick read. Ms. Hatvany deftly links hot topic issues of organ transplant, domestic violence, loss of a child to death and women's independence in one artful narrative. She profiles a domestic violence victim with an affluent and influential background, very different from societal perceptions of DV. The story deals with the harsh reality of a child's sudden death and her mom agreeing to organ transplant to benefit other children, thus throwing together two women with entirely different lifestyles. An engrossing read which is also a tear jerker.

• Book Jacket: The Romanovs
    The Marriage of Opposites
    by Alice Hoffman

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All