Read what people think about Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany, and write your own review.

Safe with Me

by Amy Hatvany

Safe with Me

• Published in USA  Mar 2014

There are currently 67 reader reviews for Safe with Me

Marylou C. (Fountain Hills, AZ) (11/10/13)

One social issue, one health issue
The authors combines the stories of a social issue, domestic abuse and a health issue, transplant is a fairly interesting, but highly unlikely scenario. But I must admit that many times I couldn't wait to get to the next page as my attention was all consumed by the writing. Hopefully there will be a sequel as the ending begs for more. Not sure I would recommend it to my book club.
Jane H. (Prospect, KY) (11/09/13)

Safe With Me
This was a nice little story but having just finished THE GOLDFINCH, I feel like I am going a little hard on it because that book was so epic whatever I read next was going to feel a little drab! I liked the general story line, although it was a little simplistic. I felt like the two intersecting stories in this book have each been "done to death" separately; putting them together caught my interest a little more, although characters were pretty one-dimensional and predictable. This would be a good read for you when you don't have to concentrate a lot -- good beach read.
Susan B. (Rutledge, MO) (11/09/13)

much better than expected
I had relatively low expectations for this book and was very pleasantly surprised to find myself liking it a great deal. I found it to be well-written and the characters interesting, engaging and, most of all, believable.

The subject matter is intense but dealt with realistically and sensitively. I certainly didn't expect to cry so often while reading, and since I usually don't go for tearjerkers, I never thought I would like the book as much as I did. Recommended, even for the skeptical.
Power Reviewer Anna R. (Oak Ridge, TN) (11/08/13)

Excellent read.
From the first sentence to the last sentence, this story grabs you and doesn't let go. The reader feels Hannah's anguish over the lose of her daughter and Oliva's joy when her daughter Maddie, receives a new liver. The way the author brings the characters together is very believable.
The story gives a good look at abuse and why it is so hard for the victim to leave. The abuser has so much power and control.
Safe With Me will be on my book club's reading list for 2014.
Power Reviewer Lisa G. (Riverwoods, IL) (11/08/13)

Safe With Me
Organ donation and domestic abuse are two topics of importance that the author, Amy Hatvany, weaves together in this gem of contemporary fiction. The book is all about picking up the pieces when things go wrong and the unlikely circumstances that throw people together. The characters held my interest as did the story line although I knew where it was going early on. This was an enjoyable read that would spark good discussions for book clubs.
Trezeline B. (Columbia, MD) (11/07/13)

Safe With Me
A very good read. At times I could not turn the pages fast enough. The book had several important and timely themes, and they were discussed very well. The book gave information and handled some very emotional topics. I highly recommend this book.
Lori (Wayland, MA) (11/06/13)

mixed feelings
I was fortunate to receive an advance reader copy of this book. I have mixed feelings about the book. On one hand, it was a compelling read that was hard to put down. On the other hand, I was only prepared to read about the devastating loss of a child and her organ donation; I didn't expect to read about a book about domestic violence, and I didn't really want to. I have read enough books about domestic violence, and I think this didn't add to the genre.

I would have preferred the book to have focused on the organ donation part of the story. I didn't appreciate the addition of wife beating, and it detracted from the more interesting and unusual theme of organ donation for me. I think fans of Jodi Picoult would appreciate this book, but the stress I felt reading it would keep me from recommending it to book groups.
Linda M. (Windsor, CA) (11/06/13)

Safe With Me
Safe With Me was a quick, easy read - quick because I didn't want to put it down. I thought the characters were realistic and well-written. The author captured the teenaged Maddie very well - realistically portraying her fears about starting a new school, making up a fake internet identity, and the burgeoning relationship with the boy from school. The book would be a great book club choice prompting discussions on why women stay in abusive relationships and regarding Hannah's decision to withhold key information from her new best friend.

• Book Jacket: Hag-Seed
    by Margaret Atwood
    There's a scene in The Tempest that many critics have concluded is indicative of Shakespeare&#...
  • Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro

The Comet Seekers
    by Helen Sedgwick

A magical, intoxicating debut novel, both intimate and epic.