Read what people think about Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany, and write your own review.

Safe with Me

by Amy Hatvany

Safe with Me

• Published in USA  Mar 2014

There are currently 67 reader reviews for Safe with Me

Diane M. (Walden, NY) (11/13/13)

Safe with me
A really enjoyable this is a story of two families united who are bonded together by a tragedy and the gift of life. I enjoyed this book so much that I went and bought other books by Hatvany. Highly recommended.
Karen K. (West Bloomfield, MI) (11/13/13)

Painful topic, important to think about
This was one of the hardest books for me to read. The topic of organ donation is something that we all need to discuss with our families. It is so important to have a plan just in case an unforeseeable event occurs, bringing the topic into consideration. A family in my community faced this exact situation recently. They have befriended the different recipient families. There were so many similarities from their struggle and loss, that it was like reliving their agony.

The characters in this book seem like real people. So many different emotions that we, as readers, can relate to. I am glad that I finished this book. There were several times, I was so sad, that I did not want to face the pain the characters were experiencing. I am glad the book ended as written. Definitely predictable, but the story was so heart wrenching, it was a relief to see it come to a close as it did.
Ginny H. (Oregon) (11/13/13)

Safe With Me by Amy Hatvany
The comparison to Jodi Picoult is what drew me to this book; however, the subjects discussed and the characters themselves are what connected me to the story from start to finish. This is a thought-provoking book about difficult subjects: domestic violence, death of a child, organ donation, and women's independence.
Anita F. (Clayton, MO) (11/13/13)

Disappointing
I'm certain I've read this book before. But, it was by another author and done in a much better way. The characters were flat and the writing was uneven.
Power Reviewer Carol T. (Ankeny, IA) (11/12/13)

A good book for a rainy afternoon
This is one of those relatively light-in-plot-and-character books that pulls the reader in anyway. I hunger for a book with well developed characters and character/plot driven responses, but until I find the next one, Amy Hatvany's Safe with Me will do.
Sally H. (Geneva, OH) (11/10/13)

A Compelling Read
With the exception of a few incidences of "that would never happen" (a personal pet peeve), this is a well-told story and a well-written book. The entire book is written in the present tense, except for when a character's past experience is related, and the author succeeds in accomplishing this consistently. Only Maddie's account is in the first person, making her stand out as the most important character. Ms. Hatvany deals well with the subject of organ donation, exploring the perspectives of the physician, the donor's next of kin, and the recipient and family. However, I wish she had left the domestic violence out of this book; I don't think it really added anything and it was so egregious that (for me at least) it distracted from the overall story line. For those reasons, I probably would not recommend it to my book club.
Vy A. (Phoenix, AZ) (11/10/13)

Safe With Me
Safe with Me would make a great book group discussion because it deals with ethical and moral issues on many levels—organ donors, spousal abuse, women's friendships, the loss of a child and fragile parent/child relationships.

Similar to a Jodi Picoult novel with difficult subjects at its heart, it grabs you early on and holds onto you. I didn't want to put it down until I knew how these characters would comes to term with their challenges.

Characters are well-developed and their actions are believable. I highly recommend it.
Judy K. (Oshkosh, WI) (11/10/13)

Future movie on lifetime
I just finished reading "Safe With Me". What a good book. It held my interest throughout my reading. The book had very believable characters and very believable life situations. In fact, I was surprised at the amount of situations the book carried. I found myself pulling for all the characters wanting everything to turn out OK for everyone. I found myself trying to figure out how the book was going to end. It was definitely a page turner. I would recommend this to book clubs, there are a lot of issues to talk about. I think it would be OK for young adults besides adults to read this book. I could see this being a movie in the future.

• Book Jacket: The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko

by Scott Stambach

"An auspicious, gut-wrenching, wonderful debut." - Kirkus, starred review

The Book That Matters Most
    by Ann Hood

An enthralling novel about love, loss, secrets and friendship.

This Must Be the Place