Read what people think about Safe with Me by Amy Hatvany, and write your own review.

by Amy Hatvany

• Published in USA  Mar 2014

There are currently 67 reader reviews for Safe with Me

Linda M. (Lititz, PA) (11/29/13)

Safe with Me
I enjoyed reading this book which I would recommend for mature Jr High on up. Having lived through a family member with the same type of transplant the girl in the story goes through, the author, Amy Hatvany, hit all the marks as far as right terminology, feelings from both the donor family and the recipient and how information is handeled through the National Transplant Registry. This book made me smile, cheer on and made me cry quite often. Safe with Me may be more suited to females and could in some ways be defined as "chick lit" but might also be enjoyed by males who are interested in this type of fiction.

I was impressed with the amount of research that went into the writing of this novel and at times wondered if the writer herself had been through the intense situations in the book as she had the feelings coming through so strongly that it felt at times as if I was reading an autobiography. I strongly recommend reading this book and look forward to reading more of her work.
Lea Ann M. (Seattle, WA) (11/26/13)

Safe With Me by Amy Hatvany
I began reading this book with high hopes of a tale that would hold my interest throughout and provide pleasure plus increased awareness of what it's like to give permission for a deceased child's organs to be harvested for the well-being of others. Yes, it was a "good" book, but somewhat disappointing in that it was written in a rather simple style; more simple than I found necessary. The characters were stereotyped which made the plot quite predictable. I wanted to like the story better as I liked the premise, but though I read every bit of it, I came away somewhat disappointed.
Power Reviewer Diane S. (Batavia, IL) (11/26/13)

Safe with Me
I feel in love with Hatvany's first book, or at least the first to be released here called, Best Kept Secret. This one I had a few problems with, I felt it lacked focus, tried to cover too many things. Organ donation is a worthy subject all its own, throw in domestic abuse and one or the other will suffer. This one for me was borderline soap opera material, just one heartbreaking moment after another. She can definitely write, covers pertinent issues of the day but for me this novel was overkill.

Picoult fans will probably love Hatvany's novels.
Gail G. (Northbrook, IL) (11/26/13)

Safe With Me by Amy Hatvany
The main characters in the novel are well fleshed out and totally believable. The story is sad but with an outcome that leaves the reader with hope for all those people in the story. The story is well written with all the issues defined. The characters are so well written that you feel you've known them for years. Each has his own problems which are made very clear so there is no misunderstanding of the reasons behind them and how they affect the actions and reactions of the characters in the story.

Both mothers in the story,Hannah and Olivia, reflect their emotional distress in an understandable way.The reader can easily identify with them and can easily see where they are coming from. The responses are readily understandable and acceptable to the reader. The author expresses disfunctional dynamics realistically amd honestly. Her expressions of fear and needs leads readers to explore their own fears and needs at the level described in the novel. The problems describred in the novel are universal and everyone has experienced some aspect of their dangers and complications.

Even though the story is heartbreaking there is in the end a positive spin on the outcome of the dangereous situations. This novel deserves a wide audience odfeaders. It is a worthy expression of sorrow and hope.
Power Reviewer Betty T. (Warner Robins, GA) (11/25/13)

Took My Breath Away!
I had not read a book by Amy Hatvany before "Safe With Me" but now I will certainly be reading all she has written. Her writing style is so easy to read! I could just relax and go along for the ride. But the story itself had me in suspense. Hannah's daughter Emily is hit by a car and dies. Olivia's daughter Maddie is a recipient of Emily's liver. Through an odd fluke of chance Olivia and Hannah become friends. Sounds like a "they lived happily ever after" scenario. But there are deceptions throughout the story. Hannah doesn't reveal that she knows Maddie has her daughter's organ; Olivia hides the fact that her wealthy husband beats her; Maddie has her own deception with a male on-line. Why the deceptions? How do they play out? It all builds to a suspenseful, explosive conclusion.
Power Reviewer Lucy B. (Urbana, OH) (11/25/13)

The Gift of Life
One woman's loss becomes another woman's hope. A single woman's precious l2-year-old daughter Emily loses her life due to being struck by an automobile. Maddie, the daughter of Olivia and James is very ill and needs an organ transplant to save her life. Thus the story takes on more depth when Maddie receives the gift. James and Olivia never want to know who the gift was received from, but Hannah, Emily's mother, learns who received the gift and the story unfolds. Maddie's mother is an abused wife and suffers many beatings by her husband as the story progresses, which puts another twist to the story. I have to say that for me this book was "unputdownable."
Susan P. (Boston, MA) (11/25/13)

Safe With Me
The story is told in the alternating voices of a well-off but badly treated wife, her daughter who has had a liver transplant, and the mother of the child who died and whose liver was transplanted. It's more realistic in the telling than one would think. The real suspense -- apart from whether the characters will all know the identity of each other -- is whether the abused wife and her daughter can escape the home they've grown to hate. The different voices were well done, especially the teenagers. A good read about finding happiness again.
Lynn R. (Wautoma, WI) (11/24/13)

Safe With Me
I felt that this book was too obvious. The characters in the book, except the abusive husband, were too sweet & nice, you almost new what they were going to say next. People just do not become life friends, inviting them into their home and sharing their whole life story. Possibly Maddie would, because she was a teenager. In my humble opinion this could have been two books. One centered on the transplant, including Hannah and Maddie & family's feelings before & after. Another book on the abusive husband which could be a book in and of itself.

• Book Jacket: The Romanovs

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All