Read what people think about Where Monsters Dwell by Jørgen Brekke, and write your own review.

Where Monsters Dwell

by Jørgen Brekke

Where Monsters Dwell by Jørgen Brekke

• Published in USA  Feb 2014
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Where Monsters Dwell

Kathleen W. (New Brighton,, MN) (11/03/13)

Welcome Jorgen Brekke!
Those of you who wait impatiently in anticipation of the next intricate mystery will want to locate a copy of Brekke's international bestseller, Where Monsters Dwell. This challenging novel asks the reader to 'operate' in two time periods (1528 and 2010) and three locales (Bergen, Norway/Trondheim, Norway/Richmond, Virginia), all in pursuit of solutions to a perplexing set of crimes. I must admit, as a reader, that the first 100 pages prompted me to keep a current listing of character name and locale within easy reach. However, after that point, this story took off like a rocket.

All in all, the mystery is compelling, the characters are effectively fleshed out and the conclusion, intriguing. Block out some solid time in your reading schedule to try this one on for size. As for me, Brekke joins my lengthening list of solid international mystery writers along with Mankell, Lackberg and Nesbo.
Lesley F. (San Diego, CA) (11/02/13)

Where Monsters Dwell by Jorgen Brekke
Detectives public or private, murder, and mystery - that's my candy jar. This one is a killer! Not meant to be first of a series, but other stories from this author would be a great thing. Special congratulations to the translator, Steven T. Murray. Easy to read and one that cannot be put aside for mundane chores until complete. Caveat: as is more and more common these days, graphic gore prevails. Drops my rating to a 4. But hubby will no doubt love it!
Sarah B. (Streamwood, IL) (11/02/13)

Exciting and enjoyable
This was a slow-building read thriller that is never boring or conventional. The story is full of troubled characters that span centuries. The main character is the Johannes Book, and as we learn about the characters we learn more about the book and its importance.
Juliet F. (Clarendon Hills, IL) (11/01/13)

Excellent! Da Vinci Code-esque, but much smarter and darker
I really enjoyed this book! It was very suspenseful and fun to read. The plot lines span Norway in the 1500's to modern-day Norway and Richmond, Virginia. Eventually the lines weave together, revealing an intriguing tale of serial killing in the setting of rare, historical book collecting.
I especially liked the cast of characters. It was interesting that as the plot got more twisted and dire, the two main characters experience sort of re-birth out of prior personal traumas. It made for a more uplifting and hopeful tone than I usually expect from a Scandinavian author. Very good book!
Joe S. (Port Orange, FL) (10/31/13)

An exciting and enjoyable read.
As an avid reader of Scandinavian mysteries, I looked forward to reading this book and found it to be an enjoyable read and hard to put down. The book switches from the sixteenth century to the present and back but the changes are well handled and were not at all confusing to me. Historically, the book has been well researched. The characters are interesting and well developed but a little too complex. Every one of them has a troubled past. The The American and Norwegian detectives obviously connect from their first meeting but the intensity of the relationship appears to increase too rapidly for the short time that they are together. Overall, I enjoyed the book and hope to see more from this author.
Wendy E. (Mechanicsville, VA) (10/29/13)

Transcending time and space
There are a lot of layers to this mystery that spans centuries and continents. We get to know several characters, both in the present and past. While is seemed that this might be the second in the series, all the pertinent information was slowly revealed about the characters' backstories. In a sense this is a mystery on several levels - the good guys, the bad guys, the history, the old and new murders, and the motives. Once it is all pieced together, the puzzle is a gruesome one!
Power Reviewer Colleen L. (Casco, ME) (10/28/13)

Excellent Debut...
"Where Monsters Dwell" is an solid debut from Norwegian author Jorgen Brekke. Two gruesome murders occur - one in Richmond, VA and the other in Trondheim, Norway. Both of them are linked; although, it does take a while before investigators tumble to that fact.

I really enjoyed the novel. The author does a good job keeping you guessing as to whom the culprit is. What I enjoyed more, however, was the historical information presented pertaining to 15th Century dissections. The author jumps between historical perspectives which makes the story more interesting and enables the reader to gain a clearer perspective of the famous Johannes Book. It did get a bit confusing at times when it jumped back into Felicia's background and then into present which is why I didn't mark the book higher.

All in all, though, this is a book that captures your attention. Once you start reading, it is difficult to stop. You find yourself saying "just one more chapter" as you get closer to finding out who the killer is.

I hope this author continues to write other books as he has an excellent first start.
Mary R. (San Jose, CA) (10/27/13)

Monsters Dwell Everywhere
When you read 'Where Monsters Dwell' plan on blocking out sufficient time to read it in one sitting before you even start it. It is more edgy than Camilla Lackberg's mysteries, and as smart and intellectual as Stieg Larssen's books, but easier to follow. The literature angle is inspired and fascinating in itself, and the ending is incredible – it will have you wondering about how we see ancient artifacts and their meanings forever. And, don't get complacent; the ending is not when you think it is.

Discover your next great read here

Ghachar Ghochar
    by Vivek Shanbhag
    The Bengaluru (aka Bangalore) that has dominated economic news headlines over the past decade is the...
  • Book Jacket: Caught in the Revolution

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Lola
    by Melissa Scrivner Love

An astonishing debut crime thriller about an unforgettable woman.

Our Short History
    by Lauren Grodstein

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare...

O My D B