Read what people think about The Spirit Keeper by K. B. Laugheed, and write your own review.

by K. B. Laugheed

There are currently 20 reader reviews for The Spirit Keeper

Power Reviewer Gary R. (Bolingbrook, IL) (09/17/13)

A great journey!
Being a fan of James Fenimore Cooper's Mohican books, I looked forward to going back to that time, and The Spirit Keeper does not disappoint. It's the story of Katie O'Toole, the thirteenth child of a family living in the Pennsylvania wilderness who's home is raided and the survivors captured by "savages". But the book is so much more; Katie decides to go with the two strangers back to their land. There her journey begins! Through the course of the book I began to wonder who the real savages were? In my opinion, a really good read,whose characters stick with you long after the last page is it, see if you agree! Just remember,don't lean against the current, go with the flow!
Lesley M. (Mesa, AZ) (09/16/13)

It was worth it!
I enjoyed the journey this book took me on. The main character, Katie O'Toole, has had a difficult life (in 1747, settlement Pennsylvania). She s rescued from a dismal future by someone very unexpected. A Native American and his friend see a different future for Katie and thus the story begins. As the story unfolds, you learn a great deal about the Native American culture, traditions and rites. I had a hard time putting this book down. It was definitely worth it!
Anita S. (Boynton Beach, FL) (09/16/13)

Finding oneself
I liked this book very much. It is quite different from anything I've read especially in the way Indians are portrayed. The story takes place in the 1700's in the wilderness of USA. Syawa and Hector take Katie through the wilderness which is Indian territory and take her to many Indian villages. To me the descriptions and beliefs were very interesting. The author obviously did a lot of research. But the gist of the story is really about Kaie's discovery of her inner self - how she comes to realize how strong she really is. She also develops an understanding of her family especially her mother and learns why her mother behaved the was she did. She also accepts her fate and trusts her instincts and learns how to use them. She comes to accept the 'gift' that was bestowed on her by Syawa. The only criticism that I have is that at times it seemed like a poor romance novel especially when the first half was taken up with her emotional feelings. Then when she and Hector were journeying alone, I knew that of course there would be a love relationship. It was just a little too much. But all in all it was a good book and I think that women will like it a lot.
Judy K. (Conroe, TX) (09/14/13)

Okay Book
This book, I think, was written for younger readers, youth readers, even though it did have some sex in it. It was just too much of a fairy tale to be believable. The heroine, Katie OToole, was just that - a HEROINE! In capital letters! Katie did have many doubts (which were outlined for us over and over and over) about her place in life and her abilities, but she always managed to triumph in every situation. This is where the author lost me and maybe it's just me. I lose interest in characters that aren't flawed. Give me a good old alcoholic, a drug addict, a gambler, a self-centered clod and I can work with that. If the character is PERFECT and can practically raise the dead, I smell "made-up" and feel it's written for children. Having said that, the story was interesting and probably would make good reading for teens. Very young teens.
Robin F. (Tucson, AZ) (09/13/13)

The Spirit Keeper
The only problem with this book was that it ended! Katie must have found a way to send her journal to someone. What a wonderful journey she and Hector must have had, but I want to know the rest of their story. Does Laugheed plan a sequel?
I enjoyed every moment of the book and will recommend it to my book club.
Lora G. (Niceville, FL) (09/11/13)

The Spirit Keeper
Katie O'Toole the 13th child from a poor, dysfunctional family is offered an unusual way to better herself. When her home is raided by Indians she is taken captive by two who claim they have been searching for her. They believe she is the Creature of Fire and Ice a spiritual source that will benefit their people. Instead of going back to her abusive family, Katie decides to go with them. Her journey of self discovery is compelling. The Spirit Keeper is a fascinating tale of love, loss and adventure.
Sandra G. (Loveland, CO) (09/04/13)

An Indian Romance
A good book is one in which I become so engrossed I can't wait to get back to it. Not this one. The author couldn't make me care about the characters. I found the book slow and repetitive; before the halfway point I was ready for it to end.
I was bothered throughout by the implausibility of their ways of communicating. Many early "conversations" between Katie and her companions were far too complex to have been communicated in gestures alone. Then after only 4-5 months, Katie is somehow able to speak the Indian language fluently.
The copyright page shows the Library of Congress categorized this book under the subject heading "Teen Age Girls: fiction". Perhaps this novel would appeal to a much younger audience, but I could not recommend it.
Anne J. (Saint Paul, MN) (09/03/13)

The Spirit Keeper
Wow…loved this book so much!
I have read books before about settlers being captured by Indians but this book is by far the best one I have ever read.
I was hooked from the first page, being an Irish gal I loved the story of the big Irish family always on hard times because of booze, I have a big Irish family and the stereotypes of the drunk Irishman can be, sadly true…. That being said, This is the story of Katie O'Toole, a beaten down, poor Irish girl with nothing in life to look forward to except beatings by her mother and who is the thirteenth child in her family and amazingly of the Indian Holy man Syawa, who has been dreaming of her and starts on the long journey to find the woman of his dreams. "The Creature Of Fire and Ice"
Syawa and his protector and friend, Hector come many miles to find the red haired, blue eyed creature who they call fire and ice, when they do find her there is bloodshed and Katie and some of her family are killed and captured, eventually Katie has an opportunity to travel with the Holy man and his protector and friend, Hector to fulfill his vision.
This is a beautiful love story on many levels. The love between friends, family and life partners.
Katie and the happy and always smiling good-natured Syawa become close very quickly and fall in love along their long journey, hector the very handsome and brooding protector seems also to be falling in love as they all get closer many adventures befall them, and some with terrible and scary consequences.
I so love the idea of a spirit keeper, so beautiful, mystical and full of love
I enjoyed the river crossings when Katie was told she stunk but, she hated getting wet and saw no reason to bath more than once a month, if that!
I love that Katie takes big, bold scary chances and was able to leave her dysfunctional family behind, sometimes the hard choices are the best choices.
I loved the characters, the adventures and the scenery that was depicted This story has a fairytale quality about it and I was able to get completely lost in the pages. I could have read about Katie and Hector for many more books and was sad when it ended.
This book would also be perfect for my 15 year old niece, who I will pass it on to.
I think I too fell a little in love with Syawa just like Katie and Hector…:)

• Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro
  • Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.