Read what people think about Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets by Jessica A. Fox, and write your own review.

A Memoir

by Jessica A. Fox

Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets

There are currently 22 reader reviews for Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets

Power Reviewer Dawn C. (Meridian, ID) (06/12/13)

Not About Rockets
I guess the first thing about the book is that it is not about rockets. Jessica A. Fox worked at NASA and then Hollywood and was lost & fed up with her life. She Googles used bookshops in Scotland and finds the Bookshop in Wigtown. She calls the owner Euan. Life in Scotland is oh so different as she entrenches herself in the town. Her descriptions of Scotland make me want to go there! Lots of plot, not just another romance book, but really a personal journey of taking a chance on your dream for yourself.
Patricia W. (Richmond, VA) (06/11/13)

Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets
I suspect that the good people of Wigtown in Scotland should prepare themselves for an onslaught of tourists when this book becomes widely available. A quirky, friendly, interesting small town, Wigtown will go on bucket travel lists everywhere. This book was a great, fun read and will appeal to those of us who love a good memoir and who love a good travel story. Three Things has both and more. Ms. Fox is a very good writer and her life-experiences belie her 26 years. The release of this book hasn't occurred in the US and I'm already looking forward to reading the next chapter in her story. Perhaps in the meantime, we should just visit Wigtown and enjoy their book festival.
Power Reviewer Freya H. (Phoenix, AZ) (06/10/13)

Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets
Following a dream is one of the most intriguing things about this book. That Jessica chose Scotland AND working in a book store was wonderful. The characters were interesting, and the book went quickly. However, I'm baffled by the title.
Power Reviewer Bobbie D. (Boca Raton, FL) (06/06/13)

The Bookstore
Jessica Fox, then age 26, has written a memoir called, Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets. Other than the fact that she was employed for a period of time at NASA, the title seems to be a misnomer. She is a film director doing free lance work, even while at NASA. Needing a vacation, she searches the internet and finds a book store she is intrigued by in a small town, Wigtown, Scotland. Her time spent there is the center of the story. As a Jewish American, she is carefully observed by the locals, especially the owner of The Bookstore, Euan. Jessica takes us through her ups and downs, her romances past and current, her insecurities, and even her chats with "Herman Melville". She likes to use the Yiddish word "shpilkus" quite often which I interpret to mean restless or edgy.

She begins each chapter with a quote from an author and the exact physical location of the book, (ex-second shelf on the left in the gallery). They were fun to read.
I was interested enough to finish the book.
Power Reviewer Donna W. (Wauwatosa, WI) (06/06/13)

Great Memoir
I loved this book! It had smart, witty writing, a modern love story, and a heroine that had me routing for her the whole way.

Jessica Fox lets us have a glimpse into her life in this charming memoir, and it is handled in such an intelligent way with such clear writing that I was hooked from the very start. I look forward to more from this author.
Martha L. (Warner, NH) (06/02/13)

The quirky path
Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets by Jessica Fox is a new book being published in July. It is a memoir about Jessica as she chooses a new path in her life. She left a job at NASA in California and moved all the way to Scotland to a used bookstore and found love. Sometimes you need to find a new path, especially when new visions surround you.

Memoirs are books that are written as a narrative containing personal observations. They are intended to be true and honest reflections while in many cases they are actually self-absorbing. Not in this case! While the book does chronicle Jessica's search for a new path, it does not grandstand or overwhelm the reader with all the things that she did, as many do. Jessica has managed to balance herself between an honest recount and a reflective narrative.

The story was quirky, heartwarming and romantic. There is a huge cultural divide between the west coast of Scotland and the west coast of California. Jessica manages to bridge the divide pretty well during her first visit. However, once she left she realized that she loved the owner of The Book Store and the town of Wigtown. Luckily, the love was reciprocated. But twists in the path for them, both personal and governmental do intercede in their relationship.

Jessica's story reads quickly. I found myself wishing for a positive conclusion, but not feeling secure in its existence. The language, feelings and descriptions make the book more interesting. Each chapter begins with a thoughtful quote that in some way enhances the chapter. Often Jessica is having a heart to heart with Melville, just to round out the importance of following one's heart.

• Book Jacket: Here I Am
    Commonwealth
    by Ann Patchett

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

Under the Udala Trees
by Chinelo Okparanta

Raw, emotionally intelligent and unflinchingly honest--a triumph.

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review