Read what people think about The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane by Kelly Harms, and write your own review.

by Kelly Harms

• Published in USA  Jul 2013

There are currently 28 reader reviews for The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane

Nancy H. (Eagan, MN) (05/10/13)

The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane
I liked this book. I thought the premise of two girls winning the house was interesting and different. My favorite character is Aunt Midge. The story seemed to drag in some places, however, then a surprise would appear. I enjoyed the differences between and two girls and how they became. All in all, it was and enjoyable read and I would read more by this author.
Kay B. (Lake Jackson, TX) (05/08/13)

Enjoyable Read
The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane was very fun to read, combining characters with unusual life situations with an interesting setting and cooking as the back story. I love books with characters who enjoy cooking and this one will make you want to get in the kitchen. The relationships are interesting and touching at times. This is not a deep read, but very enjoyable. I would definitely read more by this author.
Laura M. (Huntsville, TX) (05/07/13)

Great entertainment
The story of Shipwreck Lane is told from 2 different points of view. Janine Brown, called Janey, has won a house in Maine in a contest. Janine Brown, called Nean, hearing her name on television announcing the win, spends every last cent on a bus ticket to what she believes is her new home. Both women are leaving behind a trainwreck of a past and entering a new phase in their lives. I really felt attracted to one of the characters more than the other, but wanted to cheer for both! There is sadness, pain and betrayal, but ultimately hope and joy win out. You can't stop yourself from laughing and will probably cry, but this book won't leave you unmoved. This would make a great read for a book club.
Jane C. (Brighton, MI) (05/03/13)

The Good Luck Girls
I expected this book just to be funny. What a surprise to find it poignant as well. The characters were well developed and there were surprises along the way. What chance would there be that there would be two women in the same town in Iowa by the same name winning a million dollar house? My favorite character in this fast moving book was Aunt Midge. She added many sad and hilarious moments that made you think. Great first book.
Gwen C. (Clearfield, PA) (05/03/13)

The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane
This is the perfect beach book! Have you ever succumbed to cooking shows on t.v. and bought exotic ingredients for an impossible recipe? Have you ever fantasized over living in a dream house and entered a sweepstakes to do so? If so, this is the book for you!

The premise is delightful: Janine Brown of Cedar Falls, Iowa, wins the Dream House Sweepstakes and relocates to Maine for a new start in life. Problem? There are two Janine Browns: shy-beyond-words "Janey" and in-your-face "Nean," both laying claim to the house. Throw in wonderful Aunt Midge and enjoy as the plot is cleverly organized into mix, simmer and serve sections. The narration bounces between Janey and Nean, with each chapter headed by the perfect cooking quote for the contents.

Many books promise laugh out loud moments; this book delivers. Interspersed throughout the story are hilarious pop culture references and unforgettable scenes. I chuckled, howled, and yes, cried, at the appropriate moments. I'd love to meet the author. Anyone who could write this book is my kind of friend. I have been babbling about this book since I first picked it up. My girlfriends are waiting in line to read it.
Power Reviewer Lisa G. (Riverwoods, IL) (05/02/13)

The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and plan on recommending it to my friends. The writing was sharp and entertaining and I liked ALL the characters which rarely happens. It deals with human nature, relationships and the importance of family or more correctly, the making of family. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Cindy M. (W. Reading, PA) (04/30/13)

Caution - You will be hungry after reading this one!
I was thrown off initially by the alternating point-of-view of the two main characters but, once in the swing of the narrative, I found myself hooked on this charming romantic tale of three women courageously forging a new life for themselves despite the odds against them. Ms. Harms' narrative is inventive and witty and the women characters come to life on the page. The male characters remain flat throughout and sometimes the story is unsurprising in its plot twists but overall this novel makes a perfect "Beach Read". The food references throughout the book made my mouth water and I found myself reaching for my Joy of Cooking to complete the experience.
Power Reviewer Sue J. (Wauwatosa, WI) (04/29/13)

Enjoyable read
The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane was a fun, light read. I enjoyed all the characters, especially Aunt Midge. Janine Brown of Cedar Falls, Iowa (and there are 2 contestants with the same name) wins HomeSweetHome network's giveaway dream home in Maine. As the two Janine Browns untangled the ownership of who won the house, life gets a bit crazy. I especially enjoyed the quotes at the beginning of each chapter from a well know chef and all the cooking Janey did throughout the book inspired me to try a few new recipes!

The Never-Open Desert Diner
    by James Anderson
    James Anderson's debut novel, The Never-Open Desert Diner, starts off as an entertaining ...
    In the Country of Men
    by Hisham Matar
  • Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    Holding Up the Universe
    by Jennifer Niven

Harvard is the storehouse of knowledge because the freshmen bring so much in and the graduates take so little out.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: