Read what people think about Between Man and Beast by Monte Reel, and write your own review.

Between Man and Beast

An Unlikely Explorer, the Evolution Debates, and the African Adventure that Took the Victorian World by Storm

by Monte Reel

Between Man and Beast by Monte Reel

There is 1 reader review for Between Man and Beast

Rick Waltonsmith (05/07/15)

Good book, bad title
This is a biography of an important but obscure explorer named Paul Du Chaillu. In the mid-nineteenth century, the era of Darwin, Livingstone and African exploration, Du Chaillu introduced the gorilla to British eyes and ears with his daring exploration of Gabon in western equatorial Africa. It reads like a novel, and covers his 2 African adventures; but not his later delving into Nordic countries and cultures. The biography is a vehicle to discuss the racial biases at the core of European values, the justifications for slavery; and how Darwin's theories were used to support those values.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Castle of Water
    by Mark Kurlansky
  • Book Jacket: Temporary People
    Temporary People
    by Deepak Unnikrishnan
    In this powerful and innovative collection of 28 short stories, Deepak Unnikrishnan presents a ...

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

If We Were Villains
    by M. L. Rio

Our wisdom comes from our experience, and our experience comes from our foolishness

Y S M B, I'll S Y