Read what people think about Crime of Privilege by Walter Walker, and write your own review.

by Walter Walker

• Published in USA  Jun 2013
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 22 reader reviews for Crime of Privilege

Amy W. (Annapolis, MD) (04/07/13)

Could Have Been Better
If I could give half stars I would give this book 3.5 stars I would. I really wanted to love this book. It started out really promising, I liked the narrators voice, and was glad the reader was able to find out the details of the Palm Beach sexual assault. The first half of the book really held my attention and I had difficulty putting it down because I wanted to find out what happened next. Unfortunately, it took a little too long to get to the end. I thought it was a little far fetched that Kendrick Powell's family would keep tabs on George that many years later. I just wanted George to shout at Andrews, "For goodness sake, I was just a kid!- I am not in the Gregory's pocket, and am not involved in any cover up!"

That being said, I did like the ending and would recommend this book for someone who is a fan of John Grishman and David Baldacchi.
Lorraine R. (Southampton, NY) (04/05/13)

Crime of Privilege
An entertaining investigative crime novel that exposes the abuses of power among wealthy and politically connected families. The protagonist is a lawyer who for much of his life has hidden from the fact that he protected his wealthy college friends from being prosecuted for a crime of rape. Now, years later, another crime involving this family occurs and he is again being asked to consider his loyalty vs. his values. He elects to investigate the murder of a young girl and this takes him on a journey into the past. Filled with many twists and turns, this crime novel was a fun read. At the same time, it exposed the abuse of power that occurs when families believe themselves to be above the law.
Marjorie W. (Bonita Springs, FL) (04/04/13)

Crime of Privilege
What a good story!! Could not put it down from page one to the end! Poor George Beckett - he was caught from his first instance of weakness in 1996 at that Florida house party until 2008. George is an assistant DA assigned DUI cases when father of a murdered girl comes to him with evidence. Evidence that is being ignored by the police and DA's office. Lots of intrigue - the title describes the crime(s). As the reader I felt pity, annoyance, and disgust for his initial spinelessness and finally redemption for him. I think this book would generate good book club discussion and will certainly recommend it to my book club.
Carolyn A. (Sarasota, FL) (04/04/13)

reluctant mystery reader!
Reading mysteries is not my forte, but this book was a winner! Walter Walker brings the reader into his book through the education and enlightenment of George Becket, a young, naive, assistant district attorney. The twists and turns of the rich and powerful who thwart the investigations, while controlling the lives of those involved in the cold case of a young woman's murder keep the tempo of this story moving at top speed, from the first page to the last. This book is rich with conversations for any book club. This book is one the reader will reach for at every possible moment to keep reading, as George finds the solution not only where his life is going but the crime that has been committed.
Ilene R. (Northfield, IL) (03/30/13)

A great legal thriller...
I loved this book! It's a legal thriller but so much more. I liked that not everything is "black and white". The characters are flawed. The hero of the book, George Becket, is living with a lapse in judgement from his past. The book is about his journey to rectify that lapse that has followed him for years. I wasn't able to put this book down. You will be on the edge of your seat! A great read!
Joan C. (Warwick, RI) (03/29/13)

Crime of Privilege
This is an excellent story. W. Walker has created a true-to-life story reflecting the mores of our society. The characters have money and money equals power, and their power equals corruption. Sound familiar? The main character is a young lawyer hanging on the fringes of the affluent society in Cape Cod, Ma. As he tries to solve the mystery surrounding two murders, he is confounded by his neighbors and friends. There are no "all good" or "all bad" characters in this book. The people have elements of both and they are all trying to make their lives work to their advantage. As you read you can't help but remember the trials of the Kennedy family and their less than admirable actions at their compound the Hyannis. Does Joseph Smith Kennedy's rape trial in Florida ring any bells? How about Ted Kennedy's leaving a young woman to drown after an auto accident on the Cape? There definitely were abuses of power in both these incidents. Can the good guys win in the end? You have to read this book and judge for yourself.

• Book Jacket: Hag-Seed
    by Margaret Atwood
    There's a scene in The Tempest that many critics have concluded is indicative of Shakespeare&#...
  • Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.