MLA Gold Award Site

Read what people think about The Caretaker by A .X. Ahmad, and write your own review.

The Caretaker

by A .X. Ahmad

The Caretaker

• Published in USA  May 2013
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 29 reader reviews for The Caretaker

Bonnie B. (Port St. Lucie,, FL) (03/29/13)

Remarkably Good Thriller
Ranjit Singh was a revered army officer in India. Through circumstances he could not avoid he was dishonored and decided to leave India and go to the United States. There he took a series of caretaking jobs on Cape Cod. One was for a powerful Senator. Ranjiit gets involved with the Senator's wife and is torn between two women. He is also involved in international corruption which he doesn't really understand. Unfortunately, he finds himself in the middle of it. I highly recommend this book.
Molinda C. (Suffolk, VA) (03/28/13)

Meh...
I was looking forward to this book. It is a genre that I enjoy...action/adventure and took place in two settings that I enjoy--India and Boston/Martha's Vineyard. Unfortunately, the story quickly fell flat. Outside of the protagonist, character development was lacking and the motive for the villain was weak. Even the love interest did not make sense. I appreciated the author's attempt to tie the main character's previous experiences as a solider in the Indian Army to his current dilemma but in the end I was left feeling flat and disappointed.
Power Reviewer Doris K. (03/28/13)

The Caretaket
Ranjit Singh lived in India and fought if the army against Pakistan. Later he is found in the United States. His story is told in Boston, Martha's Vineyard and New York. Immigration which is a hot topic today is also a part of this book.
This is a good read for anyone who enjoys an interesting story. It contains suspense, action, sex, family ties and politics. All of these are intertwined to make a fascinating story. There are many surprising events to keep the reader involved.
This would make a good discussion between members of a book club. I would love to discuss the ending with someone.
Overall this is a "good read".
Annie P. (Murrells Inlet, SC) (03/27/13)

The Caretaker - WOW!
This is a hell of a book! When I first received it, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to read it, but after just a few pages, I was hooked. The protagonist, Ranjit Singh, a captain in the Indian army, a Sikh, faces so many tense situations I don't know how they all fit into one book. He is an honorable man, and a resourceful man, pitted against enemies, military, civilian, family, Indian, Paki, American, and still manages to be a hero. His struggles as a foreigner in America make me wonder about our attitude to other immigrants. Although he isn't perfect, and when he falls, he does it in a big way, his honesty and altruism keep me in his corner throughout. I wish this book were about two chapters longer so I could further follow this courageous man on his journey. Thank you, Mr. Ahmad, for a wonderful read.
Alice S. (East Haven, Ct) (03/24/13)

Conflicted main character
Ranjit is a Sikh from India who moved to America with his wife and daughter to escape his past. Unfortunately, his life in America is not what he hoped for and certainly not what his wife wanted or is willing to accept.
There is a bit of intrigue and a number of betrayals.
I found the character of Ranjit as a military man in India and also a religious man to have an internal conflict with what is right and with where his loyalty lies. Interesting story that was fast reading and enjoyable.

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk

by Robert Harris
  • Book Jacket: A Question of Mercy
    A Question of Mercy
    by Elizabeth Cox
    Authors leave little gifts for readers, which seem to turn up at the exact right moment. Perhaps a ...

H W S W T Devil S H A L S