Read what people think about The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate, and write your own review.

The One and Only Ivan

by Katherine Applegate

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

• Published in USA  Jan 2012

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The One and Only Ivan

Hailey (06/04/15)

awesome
Amazing is all I can say, very detailed in every way.
Madi Lavin (05/14/14)

Love
This book taught me to be compassionate.
Power Reviewer SandraH (02/15/13)

A wonderful Book for Middle-grade Children
Ivan is a silverback gorilla who has lived most of his life in a cage. He narrates the story. Through Ivan, an elephant named Stella, a stray dog named Bob and a young girl named Julie and a baby elephant named Ruby we learn what it must be like for animals to be captured and caged and even trained to do "do tricks" to live. Ivan narrates the story and we learn how he went from life in the wild with his "family" to being a pet and finally being used as a draw in a mall designed to bring in people.

Through these characters, Applegate helps readers understand and empathize with animals who are misused by them.

Applegate doesn't preach instead letting her characters tell their stories.

Whether a child reads this book or an adult reads it to children, this is a book worth getting.

The Summer Before the War
    Tender
    by Belinda McKeon

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

I See You
    by Clare Mackintosh

The Fifth Petal
    by Brunonia Barry

It is a fact of life that any discourse...will always please if it is five minutes shorter than people expect

K Your F C