Read what people think about The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate, and write your own review.

The One and Only Ivan

by Katherine Applegate

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate X
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

• Published in USA  Jan 2012

There are currently 3 reader reviews for The One and Only Ivan

Hailey

awesome
Amazing is all I can say, very detailed in every way.
Madi Lavin

Love
This book taught me to be compassionate.
SandraH

A wonderful Book for Middle-grade Children
Ivan is a silverback gorilla who has lived most of his life in a cage. He narrates the story. Through Ivan, an elephant named Stella, a stray dog named Bob and a young girl named Julie and a baby elephant named Ruby we learn what it must be like for animals to be captured and caged and even trained to do "do tricks" to live. Ivan narrates the story and we learn how he went from life in the wild with his "family" to being a pet and finally being used as a draw in a mall designed to bring in people.

Through these characters, Applegate helps readers understand and empathize with animals who are misused by them.

Applegate doesn't preach instead letting her characters tell their stories.

Whether a child reads this book or an adult reads it to children, this is a book worth getting.

• Book Jacket: The Last Ballad
    by Liv Constantine

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

The Story of Arthur Truluv
    by Elizabeth Berg

If we did all the things we are capable of, we would literally astound ourselves

E Dog H I D