Read what people think about The Fun Parts by Sam Lipsyte, and write your own review.

The Fun Parts

Genre: Short Stories & Essays

There is 1 reader review for The Fun Parts

Power Reviewer Mal

The Fun Parts
I have mixed feelings about The Fun Parts . I do enjoy Lipsyte's humor - dry, sarcastic, hidden innuendos, and sometimes just plain funny. I chuckled out loud several times and enjoyed it as a whole. A few standouts - "The Climber Room" is the story of Tovah Gold, a 36-year-old pre-K teacher who yearns to write poetry. The central character in "Deniers," the best story in the book, is Mandy Gottlieb, a 30-year-old woman who teaches cardio ballet at the Jewish Community Center in her New Jersey town, the other selections are mainstream and pure Lipsyte.

However, there are an abundant amount of drug addicts as characters in the stories. Another drawback - Lipsyte seems to focus primarily on people dealing with addiction be it alcohol and drugs, infidelity, seeking closure from dysfunctional parental relationships, also haves and have-nots battling it out over social classes. The Fun Parts - good, not bad but could have been better. If you want a laugh or two and your expectations are at a minimum give this collection of short stories a shot, you might find it more than good.

The Hermit
    by Jennifer Finney Boylan

Win News of the World

The Gypsy Moth Summer
    by Julia Fierro

One of the most anticipated books of 2017.

T's S I Numbers