Read what people think about Rage Against the Dying by Becky Masterman, and write your own review.

by Becky Masterman

• Published in USA  Mar 2013
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 27 reader reviews for Rage Against the Dying

Yvette T. (Boca Raton, FL) (01/17/13)

Where Is the Rage?
Like many readers, I was drawn in by the prologue but quickly became puzzled. Brigid believes the man in the prologue was hired to kill her. Where does one find an assassin specializing in old women? It isn't until much later in the book that an explanation is even attempted. The characters were not well-developed. Brigid's marriage to the "perfesser" was as much of a mystery as anything else in the book. I think the novel is a very good first draft, not a final product. The story line was good enough to keep me reading, but this was not a page turner for me. (I hope that there is a good copyeditor waiting in the wings.)
Michelle C. (Atlanta, Georgia) (01/16/13)

Tough Broad
"Rage Against the Dying" is a good read and has an enjoyable main character. Brigid Q. is a retired FBI agent who is "brought out" of her retirement and her new life to finish off her most difficult case. I enjoyed that the main character was was someone older and who had been around the block, as well as a female. She still has it and takes down a couple of bad guys in her wake. I liked that the book focused on her mental state after a career undercover and spent chasing really bad guys. I think the author left the door open for Brigid to return to some other cases in the future. There were a few places where I thought the book was contrived, such as the killing of the Peasil, and why she did not just come clean on that in the beginning, but overall a good read.
Sue K. (Floral Park, NY) (01/16/13)

Rage Against the Dying
I still haven't figured out if I enjoyed this book. I brought with me on vacation so I could read it in a relaxed environment. The story started out strong and kept me attached but then I found it a bit draggy. However, it picked up again towards the end.
I am not sure if it was me but I found at times the plot became a bit predictable and sometimes hard to follow. A bit gory, so I would not recommend it to any one with a weak stomach nor would I recommend it to any one who has experience any type of physical abuse. I did enjoy the way the author portrayed the main character as a strong women and one who can succeed in a male dominate job which she had. I would love to read other reviews about this book to see if it was just me or if others had similar views to mine.
Jeanine (01/09/13)

Rage Against the Dying
Wow! This is a book you might not want to read in public because people may stare as you gasp, cringe, cover your eyes, cheer. It totally involved me and held me to the last word. I probably wouldn't recommend it to the extremely squeamish or faint of heart, but it IS a thriller, after all. This writer can really write! Having spent time in Tucson, Catalina and San Manuel, the setting felt authentic to me. It can be harsh there. The protagonist is complex, unique, scary-gutsy, and smart. I liked her, even though she did make me shake my head from time to time. It's a 5 star for its genre. I predict a best seller and the first in a series. (I hope, I hope.) I would look forward to more from this author.
Diana J. (Highland Falls, NY) (01/08/13)

Rage Against the Dying, a middle aged heroine
I enjoyed this book a with most first offers, I'm sure if Ms Masterman continues this series, there will be more character development. But it was enjoyable to read about a woman of a certain age who was tough and smart. Good book if you like Sue Grafton type heroines, and lots of action. I read it cover to cover in one sitting. I'd recommend it.
Jean T. (Paducah, KY) (01/08/13)

No Rage Just Disappointment
As a mystery lover and someone who grew up in Tucson and did volunteer work with Law Enforcement in that area a few decades ago, I was excited to start a stroll down memory lane as the book opened. I enjoyed the introduction of Brigid as a smart sassy woman "of a certain age" who happens to be a former FBI agent. Carlo and her relationship with him were quite intriguing. The general writing and pace of the book were enjoyable. However, Brigid's actions and motivations as described stretched my credulity too thin, which resulted in a sense of disappointment overall. I would gladly read another book in a series featuring Brigid Quinn with the hope the author would develop the primary characters with a bit more depth and substantiate a more realistic plot line. I believe this book would be of interest for mystery lovers with a particular fondness for books in the private investigator sub-genre.
Monica G. (San Antonio, TX) (01/03/13)

Retired Doesn't Mean Boring!
The minute I started reading, "Rage Against Dying", and learned that the main character, Brigid Quinn, was 59 years old, I was intrigued.

I've read plenty of serial killer thrillers before but this is the first one I can think of with an older, retired female, FBI agent, who isn't an "accidental" detective or who doesn't just trip her way into a case. Brigid Quinn is a real agent with real experience who has skeletons in her closet, the ghost of a failed mission in her past, and the realities of an unrealistic personal relationship that she's set up to fail.

Brigid Quinn is forced into early retirement and finally finds the life she thinks she's always wanted. A wonderful husband and a family of pugs help Brigid enjoy the banalities of a "normal" life until she is called in to help close out the case that changed her life and took the life of her young protégé.

Suddenly, her "normal" life takes a turn for the worse and try as she might, she cannot gain control of what she had, and worse, cannot let go of this case, even though she can see it all going to hell in a hand basket.
I wish there was a "Good " category for rating books. This is really, one of the most original serial killer thrillers I've read in a while. Nicely rounded out characters, fast moving plotline, and a great level of suspense make this a must-read for any suspense/thriller fans out there.
Aleksandra E. (Alpharetta, GA) (01/03/13)

Began with so much promise
Without a doubt, the beginning of this novel had me hooked. Unfortunately, I could not hold that feeling all the way through. While certain elements were crafty and unusual, I didn't feel the "thriller" aspect come through. Ultimately, I walked away with serious motive questions and couldn't get past the sometimes goofy dialog. On occasion a novel is so good you forget to eat or go to sleep, but not in this case.

• Book Jacket: So Say the Fallen

Cruel Beautiful World
    by Caroline Leavitt

The Next
    by Stephanie Gangi

Fast-paced, wickedly observant, and haunting in the best sense of the word.

by Paulette Jiles