Read what people think about The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton, and write your own review.

Summary | Discuss | Reviews | More Information | More Books

The Secret Keeper

by Kate Morton

The Secret Keeper

• Published in USA  Jul 2013

There are currently 7 reader reviews for The Secret Keeper

Jossarne (08/15/15)

Strongly recommend
She does an excellent job of interweaving the story. I love her books! She writes complex books that keep you turning pages.
marmalade (04/04/15)

long winded repetitive twaddle
Diana C. (07/03/13)

One of Morton's best
I have read all of Kate Morton's books, so I was of course eagerly awaiting her latest. Rich in period detail, which I have come to expect from all of Morton's books, this story moves back and forth from Second World War London to the 21st century, unraveling a family mystery. I love it when a book throws you for a loop just when you least expect it, and this story delivers such a blow just when you think you have finally solved the mystery.
joyce (06/27/13)

The secret keeper.
I love a good mystery and I am partial to those with settings in the British Isles. I also am a history buff and have read a lot of books from the World War II era. I think all of those combined should make a perfect novel. However I was somewhat disappointed with this story. I think the plot moved too slowly for me. The book drags in the beginning and sometimes I was ambivalent about the characters. Laurel seemed shallow at times and some of the discoveries seemed too predictable. There are some interesting plot turns in the latter part of the book and makes up for the rather slow start. Overall I think it is a good summer read.
RebeccaR (06/26/13)

Glad I Discovered This thru BookBrowse
I enjoyed this book! I don't usually read "mystery" genres, and I had never read anything by this author before. I also must admit that I never would have picked up this book in a book store because the book jacket illustration just isn't "my kind." The reader will feel a variety of reactions towards characters - one minute you like them, then you might now. The plot twists and turns are interesting. The flashbacks blend smoothly into the flow of the story. I think that the premise of the book could lead to some interesting discussions: who are/were our parents really? There was one small scene where a pay phone went dead, and at that point I thought--in 2012? And a character with this income wouldn't have a cell phone? But other than that, I surprised myself by being caught up in the tale and wanting to know the outcome. Which I also liked!
Power Reviewer Dorothy T. (11/19/12)

Kate Morton is a master story-teller
I eagerly awaited the arrival of Kate Morton's new book and was not disappointed. Not only did this one keep me reading until midnight, it kept me awake after I turned out the light, going over details of the developments; this was especially true last night when I finished it. I am always amazed at how this writer knows how much of the story needs to be revealed and when to reveal it to keep the reader engrossed.
Dianne @ The Book Shop (09/18/12)

Definitely secrets to be kept
One of the perks, as if we needed another, of owning a book shop is receiving advance reading copies. I was thrilled when I requested a copy of Kate Morton's new book, The Secret Keeper, which comes out in October and received one!

From the beginning of the novel you are immediately privy to secret number one. As the book continues, you realize there is a whole lot more to come.

As Laurel probes the memory of her childhood and what she saw her mother do she learns that what she witnessed was the culmination of things that had previously happened in her mother's life.

As her mother, Dorothy, lay dying the story unfolds through sequences of the past, snippets from her mother and what Laurel uncovers in her research. Laurel finds out exactly what her mother means by "I made some bad choices." At one time I found myself totally in awe of what one of these choices were. I waited breathlessly to find out the end result.

Kate Morton is a pro a story telling and building suspense. She has another great novel on her hands.

• Book Jacket: Crossing the Horizon
    Crossing the Horizon
    by Laurie Notaro
  • Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists
    Of Arms and Artists
    by Paul Staiti

Les Parisiennes
    by Anne Sebba

How the women of Paris lived, loved, and died under Nazi occupation.