Read what people think about A Thousand Pardons by Jonathan Dee, and write your own review.

A Thousand Pardons

by Jonathan Dee

A Thousand Pardons by Jonathan Dee X
A Thousand Pardons by Jonathan Dee

• Published in USA  Feb 2013

There are currently 36 reader reviews for A Thousand Pardons

Jeff S. (Murfreesboro, TN) (10/13/12)

An enjoyable read
This the first book by Jonathan Dee that I have read. I can't compare it to any of his other works. I can, however, compare it to the two most recent books I've read. Those books are the most recent releases by J. k. Rowling and R. L. Stine. The J. K. Rowling was terrifically depressing and disappointing while the R. L. Stine was just ridiculous. One Thousand Pardons was a pleasure to read and made me feel good again. While the characters are all far from perfect they are very real and extremely well written and I found myself hoping that everything would work out for them. The book was both insightful and original. I have not read a book that was similar to this in plot although the plot never seemed that original. I think this means that Mr. Dee has achieved something remarkable. He has created a story that makes you cheer for regular, flawed people while also being able to forgive them for questionable choices they make along the way. Recommended.
Linda D. (Williamsburg, Virginia) (10/12/12)

Thought Provoking Read
In the midst of her husband Ben's public scandal Helen discovers that she has a gift for convincing people in similar crisis to accept responsibility and ask for forgiveness. The subject is definitely timely and the characters are realistic and intriguing. Dee does a skillful job of creating characters that are flawed but sympathetic and I found myself caring about them and wanting to know what happens to them. The book raises many questions about personal and family responsibility, whether we are playing a role or being our true selves, and about our capacity to forgive. I could go on about all the issues raised but suffice it to say that the book is well written and thought provoking and would make an excellent selection for a book club. I thoroughly enjoyed this intelligent book and I definitely recommend it.
Joan V. (Miller Place, NY) (10/12/12)

No apologies necessary!
An excellent book one of the most enjoyable I've read in a long time. Jonathan Dee draws you in immediately and you really care about the characters and what happens to them. The plot is not predictable, the characters are believable and well drawn.

I loved the lead character Helen. She is forced by her husband's actions to become an independent woman and we root for her to succeed. Mr. Dee does not make her a clich├ęd character as he could easily have done. He also gives an interesting inside view of the world of PR.

There is enough substance for it to be a good choice for a book club. I am definitely recommending it to friends and now want to read more of Mr. Dee's work.
Joan P. (Owego, NY) (10/10/12)

A Thousand Pardons
A marriage, strained by boredom, infidelity,and public humiliation ends in divorce. The story tells how the three people most involved go on. The wife discovers new talents and starts a very successful career. Her husband handles his disgrace and punishment in a very unexpected way. The daughter is left in limbo and probably has the most difficult time coping with the notoriety,new places and friends and just being an adolescent. Side stories enrich the plot and tie together the theme of seeking forgiveness and admitting mistakes.
When I finished this book, I kept thinking about it. It is a skillful work that takes an ordinary story makes an extraordinary point in unexpected ways. I loved it.

• Book Jacket: The Wife Between Us
    The Wife Between Us
    by Sarah Pekkanen, Greer Hendricks
    The Wife Between Us is an intriguing collaboration between first-time novelist Greer Hendricks and ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wife Between Us