Read what people think about A Thousand Pardons by Jonathan Dee, and write your own review.

by Jonathan Dee

• Published in USA  Feb 2013

There are currently 36 reader reviews for A Thousand Pardons

Sally H. (Geneva, Ohio) (10/28/12)

I apologize for not liking this book
This is the first of Jonathan Dee's books I've read, and I was looking forward to it. Initially the book caught my interest, but somewhere around the middle it seemed to start wandering. It is superbly written, but the plot doesn't rise to the level of the writing and the characters didn't make me love them, hate them or care what happened to them. Some of the events are so unlikely as to be ludicrous, and the book ends without resolution of the major issues. I feel as though I've read a book about nothing.
Lauren T. (Orlando, FL) (10/23/12)

A Thousand Pardons by Jonathan Dee
I haven't read any of Dee's other books, but I was expecting something stellar based on his previous success. I wouldn't say I found this book stellar, but it is a compelling read. The characters are, for the most part, ordinary people (albeit ordinary people who have jobs, a house in the suburbs, and plenty to eat). I found the subject of male midlife crisis interesting because of things that are happening in my life currently. There are some characters I felt could have been fleshed out a bit more to make the story more well rounded, but all in all I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a relatively quick, entertaining read about a family dealing with major life changes.
Nancy F. (Carmel, IN) (10/21/12)

Not sure.....
This is a hard review to write because I am confused by the reading experience. The prose and style are engaging as it did keep me turning the pages, however, I must take issue with both the plot and the ending.
The plot often appeared to be too contrived based on the suspense that was attempted by the author. I must admit that I am not a fan of predictable ending, but on the other hand, some closure as a reader would,have been nice!
J W. (Davis, CA) (10/20/12)

Forgiveness
This is a book of self forgiveness and forgiveness of others. It begins with a family - father, mother, daughter - living a typical suburban life. And then, because of boredom, that life falls completely apart. It's interesting that in the beginning the family unit is just existing in the house and, in the end, they are beginning to 'live' in the house.
I found Helen's transformation authentic in the beginning. As it progressed, I found myself wanting to tell her to wake up! But, she is who she is and Hamilton explains that better than anyone else.
All of the characters learned much about themselves and each other. In the end, all were changed in degrees and began to forgive each other and themselves. A good read.
Mary Ellen B. (Hebron, CT) (10/19/12)

Modern Angst
The book starts off as a meltdown of a suburban family when Ben, an attorney decides that he needs more excitement in his life. His bad judgement creates a mess resulting in divorce, estrangement with his young daughter, and legal trouble. His wife on the other hand, reinvents herself as a talented publicist. The plot bogs down when a former childhood friend, now a famous actor crosses path with the wife, and the book takes off as a thriller that doesn't quite materialize.
Alice S. (East Haven, Ct) (10/19/12)

A Thousand Pardons
This book was a good read. There were a number of character plots within the framework of the book. Helen, the main female character, becomes a self sufficient working woman because of circumstance and seems amazed at how capable she is. Reading about her transformation was realistic enough that it reminded me of some women I have known in my life that were forced to go out into the "working world" and surprised themselves by how sharp they really were.
Her daughter Sara is a typical alienated teen until she realizes her parents (particularly her Mom) are not the losers she assumed they were.
Molinda C. (Suffolk, VA) (10/18/12)

Page Turner
I was hooked from the opening pages of Jonathan Dee's "A Thousand Pardons". I could not put the book down and completed it the day that I started. It is a story about a family that falls apart and then some how puts things back together--but there is so much more. The character development is phenomenal and the story keeps moving forward, bringing you right along with it. This would be a great one for book clubs.
Eileen F. (Ridgefield, WA) (10/17/12)

A feel good read.
A Thousand Pardons, was about taking responsibility for your actions and then attemping to make changes. It covered a lot of social interactions of people and how they affect relationships. I was lost several times in the direction of the story, as well as disappointed in the feel good ending. In spite of this, I would recommend it to a friend for a beach read.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

At times, our own light goes out, and is rekindled by a spark from another person.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: