Read what people think about Salvation of a Saint by Keigo Higashino, and write your own review.

by Keigo Higashino

• Published in USA  Oct 2012
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 18 reader reviews for Salvation of a Saint

Kathleen B. (Las Vegas, NV) (09/18/12)

ANOTHER HIGASHINO WINNER
Last year Keigo Higashino's THE DEVOTION OF SUSPECT X was my favorite book of the year. I was so pleased to receive a copy from Book Browse of SALVATION OF A SAINT, ARC.
This is an intelligent and suspenseful mystery. I love the difference in the detective style of Japanese detectives as shown in this novel.
This was about a troubled marriage ending with the poisoning death of the husband. The main suspect being his wife with an air-tight alibi.
The conundrum is how was the crime committed?
The fascination with the book lies in watching the detectives work.
I enjoyed this book and I think you will too, especially if you are mystery fan.
Dell P. (Dallas, TX) (09/18/12)

Salvation of a Saint
This who-done-it quickly became who-cares. While there is a certain intelligence throughout, the plot is more tedious than taut.
True salvation here is in tighter editing.
The reader is so exhausted by the redundancy of the plot that the finely-drawn characters get lost. Ditto for the intriguing juxtaposition of ancient Japanese culture and modern, fast Tokyo---bogged down by excessive and repititive plot.
Tension between Ayane, Hiromi, and the ghost of Junko builds well. However, this is not enough to carry a weak and rather naive story.
Dynamics between the police and professor were way overdone.
Overall, as an avid reader of this genre, I am underwhelmed. More tepid than chilling.
Carm D. (Omaha, NE) (09/18/12)

Salvation of a Saint by Keigo Higashino
This was very well written, the crime and how it was solved was really excellent. I knew who the murderer was from the beginning, which took some of the fun out for me. I like to find out "who done it" right along with the detectives. It was fun that this was not an American or British detective/mystery novel. The differences in perspective and lifestyles were interesting to think about. I enjoyed reading this and would recommend it highly.
Patricia S. (Trevett, ME) (09/17/12)

Hooked from the beginning
I really enjoyed the latest book from Keigo Higashino, but not quite as much as The Devotion of Suspect X because it took a longer to get to the conclusion. He kept me guessing throughout the book as he looked at each suspect in a different light with different clues. I kept waiting for something momentous to occur to help with finding the guilty suspect. Higashino was like a scientist as he dissected the case with help from the detectives, including a woman new to the force, yet it took a physics professor to come up with the guilty party. An intellectual mystery.
Sherrie R. (Fort Worth, TX) (09/17/12)

Salvation of a Saint
I really liked this book. I was intrigued about the relationship between Ayane and Hiromi. Once Yukawa got involved in the investigations, the book went to another level.
I was intrigued by the different ways Kusanagi and Yukawa approached the murder. Once Kusanagi interviewed Kunio Sasoak, I couldn't put the book down until I reached the stunning conclusion. I reread the book in my mind once I had a different perspective on what was really going on!
Great for book clubs.
This would appeal to anyone who loves mysteries.
Jan T. (Leona Valley, CA) (09/15/12)

Salvation of a Saint
This is a well plotted intricate mystery. The characters are well drawn. Although, we know whodunit from the start, the psychological nuances are what make this a interesting read. I rated it a good read because I felt it was a bit slow moving and I didn't feel emotionally connected to the characters in the story.
Beth B. (New Wilmington, PA) (09/12/12)

Don't miss this!
Have you ever played 52-card pickup with a deck of playing cards? I was reminded of that experience while reading the well-written and suspenseful Salvation of a Saint. Police, detectives, forensics, and even a professor collaborated to pick up all pieces of evidence in a keep-you-guessing homicide case. You'll enjoy the skillful building of suspense in this quick read. I guarantee you'll not regret the romp through this terrific account of an able team solving the "almost perfect" murder.
Joan B. (Ellicott City, MD) (09/07/12)

Who was saved??
I am sorry to be so conflicted about the review of this book. It was a page turner! I was anxious to see what was going to happen. That being said - there were way too many coincidences to be believable. It is possible that the translation made the dialogue seem awkward. For me, the victim was so unlovable that I could not be sorry that he was dead. And for a "by the book" detective to have a schoolboy crush on a complete stranger was far fetched. The story has received some positive comment so perhaps I missed something. I am thankful to have the opportunity to read new publications. That has been a pleasure!

One Month Free Membership