Read what people think about Indiscretion by Charles Dubow, and write your own review.

by Charles Dubow

Indiscretion by Charles Dubow X
Indiscretion by Charles Dubow

• Published in USA  Feb 2013

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Indiscretion

Kristen K. (Atlanta, Georgia) (11/10/12)

The Unfolding of a Modern Day Tragedy
The story that unfolds in this book is not an unfamiliar one. A couple appears to have the perfect life and be each others soul mates. He is a prize winning writer and she is independently wealthy. They summer in the Hamptons and live in NYC during the year. He is even sent to Rome for a year to write. A young woman enters their group and she seems likable as well. If everyone remained content with the status quo there would be no story. The story comes about because some aren't satisfied with just being happy and seem driven to seek something else. The reader knows that things will not end well although I never guessed how tragically events would unfold. No one escapes the consequences of the "Indiscretion". I enjoyed reading this and believe it would be a great springboard for discussion in book groups.
Ariel F. (Madison, WI) (11/02/12)

Like the Great Gatsby? You'll enjoy this book.
Interesting readable novel set in the New York City area. If you liked the Great Gatsby, you will like this novel.

It was a quick read about a successful author, his indiscretions and their impact on others. The characters were wealthy and for the most part likeable.

I would recommend this for female readers.
Judith B. (Omaha, Nebraska) (10/31/12)

Romance in the Hamptons
This debut novel features a plot that is populated with characters of questionable morality. Their actions seem to spring from purely selfish motives that slowly enfold over the course of the book. The story is narrated by a biased Walter who is not identified until page 25, resulting in a confused voice. The pretend happy ending seems to be unnecessary and merely a page-filler. The actual ending is realistic if not expected. This book is about people who are able to deal with death and disappointment because money is not an issue. The story centers around the complex relationship of young Claire who takes shortcuts to love and success, Maddy whose privileged background has left her ill-equipped to deal with loss, and Harry whose early popularity and literary success have resulted in the belief that he could take whatever he wanted. I didn't like these people, but I did enjoy Dubow's use of language, character development, and style of writing. The book should appeal to readers who are seeking light entertainment. I don't intend to recommend it to my book groups.
Wendy F. (Kalamazoo, MI) (10/30/12)

Great read! I fell in love with the characters throughout their happy times as well as struggles. Although there was a familiarity about certain parts of the story, I didn't want it to end. The beautiful and loving Maddy, handsome, witty Harry, the newcomer Claire and of course Walter, all caught up in a complex web of emotion. Thank you Charles Dubow for giving me this engrossing read.
Diane D. (Cape Elizabeth, ME) (10/27/12)

Good story, but not great
I was a little disappointed. Dubow develops lovable characters that are flawed, but I found the narrative a bit awkward. It's certainly a quick read with a plotline that draws you in.
Kate G. (City Island, NY) (10/26/12)

An excellent debut novel...
While this debut novel has some commonality with "The Great Gatsby" (and the narrator acknowledges as much early on), this is a very different story. Taking place in modern day New York City and its environs, Indiscretion is the story of a successful author and his almost perfect life. When he behaves indiscreetly, a chain of events is set in motion. Well-written, with fully realized characters, this story is compellingly readable. The characters will stay with you for days after you have finished reading about them. Book clubs will enjoy this book, parsing out the motivations and actions of the different characters.
Debra L. (Deerfield, IL) (10/25/12)

A good read!
I couldn't put this book down! The characters were interesting and well developed. I was completely absorbed in the plot. The storyline was engaging and moved along. The descriptions of the settings were thorough. I would recommend this book to women of all ages.
Edie M. (Kennett Square, PA) (10/25/12)

Indiscretion is the ultimate love story
I was captivated from the beginning with this book.
The characters are very easy to relate with. I found myself being drawn back again and again. I love Harry and Maddy, my heart was celebrating and breaking along with theirs. The narrator Walter's view was very interesting and from that aspect, it did remind me of Gatsby.

We should all have such a devoted friend!

• Book Jacket: Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions