Read what people think about How to Love Wine by Eric Asimov, and write your own review.

How to Love Wine

• Published in USA  Oct 2012
    Genre: Biography/Memoir

There are currently 11 reader reviews for How to Love Wine

lebjohnson (01/02/13)

Helpful tour through a life in wine
I have always been a little put off by the emphasis on the all-knowing wine critics, unable to taste some of the flavors they emphasized (tobacco), not always understanding why a wine was rated above 90, but knowing what I liked. This book, besides describing how Eric Asimov learned to know and love wine (the most interesting part of the book for me), gave me a path and a validation for my tasting of wine, a much appreciated push in the right direction.
Debbie-Lyn C. (Kitty Hawk, N.C.) (10/03/12)

How To Love Wine
The title of this book is misleading. I wanted to gain knowledge of wine, maybe an insiders view to help in learning about different varieties, regions, foods to pair with, storage, etc. These topics are hinted upon after the slow beginning which was more about how the author came to enjoy wine and then become the NY Times wine critique. I do agree with his thoughts on wine notes and how silly they can be. I was interested in learning about how some wine taste tests are run. The chapter on The Home Wine School is where I obtained information that could be useful in teaching "How to Love Wine."
Susan B. (Rutledge, MO) (09/28/12)

Interesting – to the right crowd – but repetitive
In general I think only wine enthusiasts will appreciate this book. I found it interesting because I like wine and went through a phase of learning more about it several years ago, but those with only a casual interest may find it drops too many names and technical terms to enjoy.

The author's main message is that it is totally fine to simply enjoy wine-- without being snobby about it or having to understand or appreciate arcane tasting notes. It's a good message, but was repeated far too often. If you like wine and can skim, you may enjoy this book.
Michelle C. (Atlanta, Georgia) (09/28/12)

Wine for all
Mr. Asimov loves wine as well he should, and through this book tries to share that love with the readers, and encourage his readers to just enjoy wine and the atmosphere it helps provide, without worrying about the label too much or whether one chose the perfect bottle. The book had a slow start and was a little difficult to get through in the beginning. It does pick up, and Mr. Asimov is a talented writer.
Anna S. (Auburn, AL) (09/27/12)

At last!
At last, a book about wine for the rest of us. Asimov assures us that we don't have to be 'experts' to enjoy wine. He argues that enjoying wine should be, first of all, an emotional experience, and as our enjoyment increases, wanting to learn more about wine may follow. I particularly enjoyed his many anecdotes about his love affair with wine, and was delighted with his comments on tasting notes.
Deanna W. (Port Jefferson, NY) (09/17/12)

Still looking for the answer...
By reading this book I discovered how Mr. Asimov learned how to love wine. This is mildly interesting memoir. The author and I share a similar youth in NYC. This book is mostly about the author and did very little to enhance my love of wine.
Nancy L. (Zephyrhills, FL) retired librarian (09/14/12)

How to Love Wine
Eric Asimov's "How to Love Wine A Memoir and a Manifesto" is more manifesto than memoir. After a rather slow start, Asimov introduces his theme - that anyone can learn to love wine and explains in detail that wine is meant to be tasted with food. This theme is reiterated throughout the rest of the book. He gives some clear suggestions for the beginning wine lover and I came away with a much greater understanding of how I can find and enjoy good wine. This book is perfect for people like me who want to enjoy good wine but don't know quite where to start.
Barbara C. (Riverside, CA) (09/10/12)

It's all about the writing.
Whether you appreciate the nuances of fine wine and the drinking thereof or you do not, this book is carefully crafted to be appreciated by a reader of fine writing. Several times I was caught up in a turn of phrase that made me jealous of Eric’s writing ability. In addition, the content was useful and interesting. It made me realize that my wine appreciation was just fine, thank you very much. I could not ask for more—self-validation and entertainment in a single slim volume. This tome is a mini-treasure trove of information about how wine assessment really works (and doesn't). I will read it again and share quotes with my friends. No wine snobs need apply.

• Book Jacket: Speak No Evil