Read what people think about The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle, and write your own review.

by Victor LaValle

• Published in USA  Aug 2012
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The Devil in Silver

Trezeline B. (Columbia, MD) (08/04/12)

The Devil in Silver
A very interesting character study of a working class white man from Queens, NY. Is he mentally Ill? You decide. The workings of Public Mental Institutions are also explored. Every character in the story is very well developed. You become very involved in their lives and learn a great deal. A really good read.
Nancy O. (Hobe Sound, FL) (08/02/12)

Simply superb. It's hard to find books that are better than this one.
There has been a veritable bumper crop of excellent novels this year, and I've just added The Devil in Silver to my favorites list. Set inside a New York hospital's psychiatric unit, this novel is anything but the book of "literary horror" it's being touted as. While there is a "Devil" involved, and there are other real-life horrors to be found, the focus is more on the newest inmate, a man named Pepper -- whose only familiarity with mental institutions before his admission is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest -- and a lively cast of characters who also populate the unit. It's also a novel about the importance of being able to understand other people's points of view, appreciating others for who they really are, and so much more.

I absolutely loved this book. It's a mix of dark humor that made me laugh (including some pop-culture refs that fit in perfectly) and satire that is spot on the money. At the same time, there are some incredible discoveries made by the characters in this book that made me step back and take a look at myself as well. The writing, as with all of Victor LaValle's novels, is excellent and to use that old cliche, it's a novel that will haunt you long after you've put it down. But what truly stands out here are the people in this book, "bonkers and beautiful" all at the same time. I really can't do justice to this novel here, but I can recommend it without any reservations. It is simply stunning, for a multitude of reasons I'd need pages to express; it's also one you have to experience for yourself.

• Book Jacket: Barkskins

Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All