Read what people think about The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle, and write your own review.

by Victor LaValle

• Published in USA  Aug 2012
    Genre: Thrillers

There are currently 26 reader reviews for The Devil in Silver

Kathleen W. (Appleton, WI) (08/18/12)

The Devil In Silver
I simply cannot stop thinking about the characters in this book. I can't say that I enjoyed The Devil in Silver because it is so disturbing, but it is very well written and definitely worth reading. I kept reminding myself that this is fiction, this is fiction, but am haunted by the thought that it might actually be based on reality.
Power Reviewer Daniel A. (Naugatuck, CT) (08/16/12)

The Devil in Silver
This is a well written and amazing book. It has the undertones of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", but instead of dealing with Nurse Ratchett, there's a monster in Ward 4 as the main protagonist, Pepper would say.
There are many twists and turns in this story, and I couldn't put the book down. I enjoyed reading it.
I highly recommend this book to anyone that enjoys a good mystery thriller.
Jeanette L. (Marietta, GA) (08/15/12)

The Devil in Silver
The story takes place in New Hyde mental hospital in Queens, NY where Pepper is taken after an altercation with undercover police even thought he does not belong there; Pepper realizes that he is now locked in a mental hospital. The first friendly face that comes to greet him is Dorry a long time patient who feels a friendly face should be the first thing anyone sees as she gives Pepper a tour of his new home. Many of the mayor players are very well developed giving us a look at the treatment of mental patients. I loved this book I had a hard time putting it down and when I did the characters remained with me.
Bink W. (Sopchoppy, FL) (08/15/12)

Lost my interest
One of the few books that I have not finished. Good character development and some truly horrific episodes. As a mental health professional and nurse, I found the story to have a fair measure of accurate representation of some institutions in the past, but was annoyed by all of the stereotypes. Both of treatment and characters. I'll probably give it another try in a month or so.
J W. (Davis, CA) (08/15/12)

Metaphor for life
I enjoyed reading this book. Many times I wondered who were the crazies and who the sane . Though it took place in an insane 'hospital', it could have been in any small town, neighborhood or large city under slightly different circumstances. Mr. Lavalle talks about how he came up with his characters and that only reinforced my feeling that this was an interesting and unique metaphor for life in general.
Perhaps my only complaint was the over-length of the book. Some good editing would make it less tedious and a more satisfying read.
This book could be read and enjoyed by a variety of ages - teens up. There are lessons for all in its pages.
Power Reviewer Jane N. (Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey) (08/15/12)

The Devil in SIlver
This is the first book that I have read by this author and I really enjoyed it ! This is not meant to be funny, but you will find yourself laughing out loud at some of the scenes. Life in an underfunded and understaffed metal hospital is not suppose to funny but sometime life is stranger than fiction and the interplay between the two works really well in this book. There is a lot to think about and discuss in this read. Enjoyable and highly readable.
Katherine Y. (Albuquerque, NM) (08/14/12)

Not Like Anything Else You've Read
"The Devil in Silver" is another great book by Victor LaValle, author of "Big Machine." His work is creepy and interesting and smart and weird. For readers who enjoy a book that isn't like anything else they've read - this is the author for you.
Power Reviewer Dawn C. (Meridian, ID) (08/14/12)

The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle
This was thrilling, scary, and fun all put together. Pepper never knew what would happen when he gets put in a mental institution in Queen, NY because the jails were overcrowded. No worries, he only has to be in for 72 hours. Little does he know what he will be dealing with, colorful inmates and of course the thing that comes out at night they call the devil. Can he escape and kill the devil too? A fast-paced read that was very enjoyable.

The Marriage of Opposites
    by Alice Hoffman
  • Book Jacket: Miss Jane
    Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson
  • Book Jacket: Dinner with Edward
    Dinner with Edward
    by Isabel Vincent
    In late 2009 Isabel Vincent and her family were still newcomers to New York City. She and her ...

The Imperial Wife
    by Irina Reyn

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All