Read what people think about Sharp by David Fitzpatrick, and write your own review.

A Memoir

by David Fitzpatrick

• Published in USA  Aug 2012
    Genre: Biographies & Memoirs

There are currently 20 reader reviews for Sharp

Esther Bradley-DeTally (09/06/12)

Sharp, a novel of harrowing courage and pain
This is from the first page on, a sharp intake of breath, and a holding, holding, waiting to breath. Sharp intensifies honestly, horrendously, and underneath the horror of this one man's struggle, lies courage, sweetness and nobility. Sharp is a reminder to not forget all those who suffer, even perhaps when upon quick glances, all seems well. Sharp, a memoir, offers a compassionate and deeply internal view of mental illness - it's range - those who struggle, and is a book which this reader things must be read.
Sharon W. (Two Rivers, WI) (09/06/12)

Sharp
I am a big fan of memoirs, but this was a little hard for me to get through. I could not imagine living the life he did. Cutting and burning the body, in and out of mental facilities, being bullied.
Started out having a great life, but it went downhill. It was great to see that his life turned around and was able to write this book
Kelly H. (Chagrin Falls, OH) (08/15/12)

Sharp and raw
I recommend "Sharp" to any reader who loves someone struggling with emotional or mental illness. The story is an insider's look at the painful descent into illness and back and how the illness affects everyone surrounding the author. The story often evoked tears and visceral feelings of fear, anger and frustration. I would enjoy following the author through a sequel!
Chris H. (Wauwatosa, WI) (08/04/12)

Sharp
I found this book to be a compelling and insightful look into the life of someone who self-mutilates by cutting. As this is not a topic that is not talked or written about as much as other addictions, I thank and applaud the author for the courageous telling of his personal story.
Christy S. (Shrewsbury, MA) (08/02/12)

Push-pull
This book is truly a life-work, or, a life-not-working. Either way, it is difficult to read about the author facing such raw emotions. David Fitzpatrick shares with readers in his memoir, Sharp, a painful journey. Unfortunately, it was a little sharp edged and I would have liked it so much more if the author had implied, rather than stated, his detailed thoughts. I realize that maybe that would defeat the purpose of his writing, however.

I really liked how Mr. Fitzpatrick was able to share a deep reaching into his soul about where and when these difficult-to-imagine thoughts and obsessions arose. It was, perhaps, a bit too graphic where it didn't seem to relate to his thinking: I'm not talking about the descriptions of his urge and need to cut, but about the sexual details that seemed non-sequitur.

Overall, I would recommend this book as an average read: I wasn't drawn enough to the path and the pace of the story, but his insight was good and I felt I learned about his journey through mental illness in a way that was more than just skin deep.
Katherine T. (Atlanta, Georgia) (07/29/12)

exposing memoir
I am not sure I enjoyed reading "Sharp" by David Fitzpatrick, in that I found that he was just a bit too graphic in some of his descriptions. However, I give him a lot of credit for exposing his illness in a way that really that lets others know how painful mental illness can be. As a psychotherapist who works with cutters, I found his book helpful for understanding how the human mind can begin to become so fragmented.
Jeff S. (Murfreesboro, TN) (07/26/12)

Sharp is not an easy read, but is worth it
I was not sure how I felt about reading Sharp, it's not my usual reading subject of choice. I do however read a large variety of books and wanted to give it a try. I wound up enjoying Sharp very much. It is definitely a well written book and is told in a voice that I cared about from the very beginning. The subject matter of the book, however, is very disturbing. I have never known anyone with a mental illness, at least not one where it required stays at all of the different types of places like David Fitzpatrick stayed. David seemed extremely likable from the very beginning. It is very scary to see how he went down hill, how hard he struggled and all of the horrible things he did to himself, but I cared very much about his making it through and wanted to get to the end just to see how we was. This book is a very good read and in the end a very inspirational story.
Laurence O. (Phoenix, AZ) (07/25/12)

Sharp--A cutting-edge, real life memoir
Fitzpatrick's ability to help the reader experience the pain and mental anguish that the author suffers is, a craft many do not posses. He does it expertly--at times graphic, that is just what is called for and so appropriate and timed perfectly. Definite read for those that have an interest in life, the good, the bad and the ugly of life--but one that delivers an upbeat, positive message.

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

Censorship, like charity, should begin at home: but unlike charity, it should end there.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: