Read what people think about The Right-Hand Shore by Christopher Tilghman, and write your own review.

The Right-Hand Shore

by Christopher Tilghman

The Right-Hand Shore by Christopher Tilghman

• Published in USA  Apr 2012
    Genre: Historical Fiction

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Right-Hand Shore

HR Lady

Two Shores amid conflicts
Great story which shows how emancipation of the slaves had its downside, and the difficulties experienced by both sides.
Bob Nolin

A wonderful novel deserving a lot more attention
After finishing this well-crafted novel, and enjoying it immensely, I went to LibraryThing to enter it into my list of books read. I was shocked to see that NO ONE on LT has read this book. In my opinion, the writing is up there with Cold Mountain: it's that good. The characterization was a bit weak, I suppose, but that's a minor complaint. The writing itself is just gorgeous, so maybe only a writer (or, in my case, a writer-in-training) would find that reason enough to read it. My wife couldn't get into it, thought it was too slow-moving.

This is an excellent historical fiction that tries to recreate a time and place, to give the reader a feel for what life was like then. It isn't the typical historical fiction novel that's really a romance novel in disguise. Because it's not a bodice-ripper or a plot-driven thriller, it seems to have found no readership. I'm guessing, I don't know how publishing works. But I'd recommend it to anyone who likes literate historical novels, even if they are lacking battles, intrigue, and that sort of thing. It's a book to savor, linger over, and read again.

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande

Seven Days of Us
    by Francesca Hornak

Win The Wisdom of Sundays

The Wisdom of Sundays
by Oprah Winfrey

Life-changing insights from super soul conversations.

A Good M I H T F