Read what people think about Heading Out to Wonderful by Robert Goolrick, and write your own review.

Summary | Discuss | Reviews | More Information | More Books

by Robert Goolrick

• Published in USA  Jun 2012

There are currently 11 reader reviews for Heading Out to Wonderful

Hulananni (05/26/12)

Missing characters
I more often than not read a book in a day or two. This one was no exception because I needed to know the ending.

Why I gave it a poor rating is that I found the absence of Boaty throughout much of the story puzzling. In my opinion he was a major factor in the dynamics of the people involved yet he was submerged for much of the book.

I really didn't like the italicized sections that appeared throughout the narrative. For me they were a distraction and I found myself skimming in the literal sense of the word. Perhaps I missed things I should have attended to. I didn't have the patience.

Perhaps I should read another of the author's books.
Anne (05/23/12)

Heading Out to Wonderful...
... is an engrossing story set in a small Virginia town shortly after the war. Charlie, an attractive stranger, comes to town looking for work and is soon employed by the local butcher. Oddly, Charlie develops an intense friendship with Sam Haislett a 5 year old who finds Charlie a more comfortable confidant and teacher than his parents. The two are virtually inseparable and ultimately Charlie's decisions have a huge impact on Sam's life.

The book has some of the most colorful characters and vivid descriptions of place that I can remember reading in recent past. Goolrick has created two female characters who share a passionate interest in fashion and I can't help but wonder how it was for him to write those sections describing fabric, color and style.

Some of the turns in the action are predictable but many were not, at least for me. As we expect Charlie to make some decisions that will put him in the path of danger, we surely don't foresee the finale.

This one was even better than A Reliable Wife but if you haven't read it, do so by all means.
Christie Keele (05/17/12)

Heading Out to Wonderful
I read Robert Goolrick's new book, Heading Out to Wonderful, in two days. While this isn't unusual for me, I found I couldn't put this particular book down. Just as in A Reliable Wife, this novel exhibits a compelling plot with clever, heartfelt characters. Goolrick is quickly becoming a master in creating a uniquely different story...one that has plot twists and turns, and one that has unique, insightful characters that speak of humanity and offers insight into the human condition. Goolrick's characters offer both sides of a person, drawing us into their personal motives, and at the same time, creating compassion for them. But not all the characters in this story are good, which lends excitement to the plot, and gives further insight into how people deal with decisions of the heart, and in this case, maybe life and death. I loved this story. Charles is a good fellow to love, and you'll be drawn in by Sam, the little boy who is most affected by the character's actions. Goolrick is talented in creating a setting that draws the reader in, makes you feel as if you're there, a part of it. I applaud Goolrick's style, his rich language, honest depictions, and the twists he lends his stories. Loved the surprises! As they say, this is a "must read!"

• Book Jacket: Commonwealth

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review