Read what people think about The Innocents by Francesca Segal, and write your own review.

The Innocents

by Francesca Segal

The Innocents by Francesca Segal X
The Innocents by Francesca Segal

• Published in USA  Jun 2012

There are currently 19 reader reviews for The Innocents

Shirley L. (Norco, LA) (05/06/12)

An Enjoyable Read
First and foremost reading a novel should be enjoyable and The Innocents certainly was. The characters were complex and not stereotyped. The description of this modern Jewish community was haunting beautiful. Themes of risk versus safety, the individual versus the family, passion versus comfort were all thoughtfully developed. Lots of shades of gray were provided and no easy answers given. An intelligent, warm, quiet read that I found thoroughly satisfying.
Power Reviewer Portia A. (Mount Laurel, NJ) (05/04/12)

Not your average "chick-lit"
The story which takes place in a close-knit Jewish community in London is a story of leaving the arms of the extended family and the discovery of the world outside. When I read it, I felt that the author had lived it; or at least something like it. The voices felt very real. I recommend it.
Dorothy M. (Maynard, MA) (05/02/12)

The joy and pain of families
The Innocents is a lovely debut novel set in a Jewish community in London that explores the choices we make and the cost of those choices. Told from the point of view of Adam, who believes he has everything he ever wanted until he sees possibilities that he never knew were there. It shows us his totally supportive family and community as he realizes that the other side of comfort and love is constraint and confinement. He must decide what kind of man he chooses to be. Written with a light touch of humor, this is a delightful book - highly recommended.

• Book Jacket: The Last Mrs. Parrish
    by Alison McGhee
  • Book Jacket: Solar Bones
    Solar Bones
    by Mike McCormack
    Written in a poetic, line-breaking style, Mike McCormack's Solar Bones reads with a breathless ...

If the Creek Don't Rise by Leah Weiss

A debut novel bursting with heart, honesty, and homegrown grit.

Strangers in Budapest
    by Jessica Keener

The good writer, the great writer, has what I have called the three S's: The power to see, to sense, and to say

E Dog H I D