Read what people think about Losing Clementine by Ashley Ream, and write your own review.

by Ashley Ream

• Published in USA  Mar 2012

There are currently 24 reader reviews for Losing Clementine

Wendy E. (Mechanicsville, VA) (02/28/12)

Dark and light!
The premise is certainly dark. We know Clementine is counting down the days before she kills herself. Yet some of her antics in the days leading up to her "due date" are quite funny/light. We can certainly see the darkness that fills her life, but there are such wonderful elements to her days as well, elements we hope she will realize are really quite wonderful. You'll find yourself hoping Clementine will reevaluate her decisions. This was a great read!
Mary M. (Lexington, KY) (02/20/12)

Dreary Book
I really did not like this book. It was depressing and the main character was unlikable. I kept reading because I thought at some point Clementine would do something to help me understand or like her. Even after learning her history I could not understand why she behaved so badly to her family and friends. She was an unsympathetic character from beginning to end. I would not recommend this book to anyone. It was just to dreary.
Power Reviewer Gary R. (bolingbrook, IL) (02/19/12)

Another good read!
Who would of thought that a book about someone who wants to end it all would be so much fun to read! Clementine wants to end it all in 30 days,but wants to tie up a few loose ends before she goes. Funny, witty, an all around enjoyable read! Highly recommended!
Marta M. (Santa Ana, CA) (02/19/12)

a good read
Everyone will not understand this book, Losing Clementine. It is a story for our time era. Mental illness has soared in the last few decades and we are all trying to find the silver bullet to help these people. At one time in this story, Clementine described her illness like a black monster, not allowing her to breathe. I have heard many times of the dark monster descending upon a person and sometimes never letting them go,encouraging them to want release. This book describes this very well and makes the character sympathetic. I kept rooting for Clementine all through out the story. I strongly recommend this book and hope to read more from Ashley Ream.
Carrie W. (Arcanum, OH) (02/17/12)

Loosing Clementine
I enjoyed this book, very much. Clementine, has much to deal with, her life is much like many of us, confused, painful, often lonely. We find comfort in the most unlikely places as did Clementine. I'm looking froward to more books from this author.
Brenda S. (Grand Rapids, MN) (02/15/12)

Prepare for Some Morbid Fun
Ashley Ream is now my new BFF. What a fantastic read she created with "Losing Clementine". This book is the most fun you can have while turning pages...a truly laugh-out-loud story of a macabre subject. Everyone has had challenges in life, this book may help you organize said life for the resolution you want...and have a good time doing it. Kudos to Ashley for the most entertaining book I've read in months.
Viqui G. (State College, PA) (02/15/12)

Losing Clementine
Clementine is a talented artist, a bright woman and a very troubled one as well. She tells us in the first chapter that she has made a plan to end her life. As those of us in the medical profession know, when a person has a suicide plan, they are to be taken seriously. And Clementine is serious. But the beauty of this book is that it is not sad or depressing. In fact, it is often hilarious. Clementine is a lively, fascinating and very unconventional character. The reader learns to like her, even with all her eccentricities.

The book is written in the first person, so we "hear" Clementine speak and "listen" to her justifications for her past and present actions. This gives great intimacy to this novel; I felt like I could sit down in Clementine's studio and chat with her. I didn't always agree with her, but I could understand where she was coming from. This book would appeal to women; there is some vulgar language, so that may be off-putting to some.

All in all, "Losing Clementine" was a believable novel and it brought to life a character and a story that I will remember affectionately for a long time.
Judith M. (San Diego, CA) (02/14/12)

Wickedly funny black humor!
I was ready to give up on this book almost from the beginning. But the wickedly funny black humor hooked me and I had to read on. Surprisingly through the humor I was better able to understand what it might be like to live with mental illness and the drugs to treat it. Unfortunately I was left with little hope that her life will improve. Maybe she will be able to endure the dark times and accept the joy that is in her life. I sincerely hope so.

• Book Jacket: Of Arms and Artists

Cruel Beautiful World
    by Caroline Leavitt

North of Crazy
    by Neltje

The remarkable life of a woman who carves her own singular path.

by Paulette Jiles