Read what people think about Tides of War by Stella Tillyard, and write your own review.

by Stella Tillyard

• Published in USA  Oct 2011
    Genre: Historical Fiction

There are currently 38 reader reviews for Tides of War

Wendy E. (Mechanicsville, VA) (11/23/11)

Too much going on!
While I enjoyed the historical aspects of this book, there were too many storylines to follow, too many characters to keep up with. The main characters needed a bit more "fleshing out." I found myself wanting to read more about the historical characters, however fictionalized they were in these scenes.
Malinda N. (Wheeling, WV) (11/23/11)

Tides of War
I was really looking forward to this book. Historical fiction is, by far, my favorite genre. Unfortunately, as hard as I tried, I was unable to finish the book. It failed to grab my interest early on and I put it down to read another book. Frankly I read three other books while trying to finish this one. I don't think I have ever done that before. I will try it again in the future but this time I found it slow and was unable to keep up with the many characters.
Alyce T. (San Antonio, TX) (11/21/11)

Tides of War
What a grand book. Stella Tillyard brought all the aspects of war into this book. With each character, one was able to feel the anticipation of war, the gore of war and the consequences and end of war through their eyes. I came to know everyone personally and felt their emotions and needs. It is a well written book that glides from scene to scene. I eagerly look forward to another historical fiction by Stella Tillyard.
Darlene C. (Woodstock, il) (11/21/11)

A Great Disappointment
I did my best but gave up on this book half way through. I kept trying because historical fiction is my favorite genre. I found the four main characters, two couples, difficult to keep straight and did not really care what happened to any of them. Somehow the character development misses the mark and leaves the reader feeling frustrated and unfulfilled. The history was accurate and mildly interesting but not enough so that I was willing to give this novel more time.
Mary J. (Scottsdale, AZ) (11/21/11)

Tides of Characters
Stella Tillyard has a wonderful grasp of history but there are far too many characters in this novel. It is slow going through the first 100 or so pages. It finally picks up and I couldn't put it down. Well worth the effort a great read.
Charlene M. (Murrells Inlet, SC) (11/20/11)

Tides of War
The historical setting was what first attracted me to Stella Tillyard’s Tides of War. I especially like reading about 1800 England. When I first met Harriet, in the opening chapter of the book, I thought this is a person I would like to know more about. Her character was just complicated enough to intrigue me and her relationship with her James was slightly off kilter. The plot, though interesting, was convoluted and filled with sub-characters. I enjoyed reading the book but felt I needed a who’s who notebook. A very enjoyable and well written story.
Nicole E. (High Point, NC) (11/15/11)

A Tad Tedious
I began reading this book with anticipation. I typically enjoy historical fiction, especially a period like the Peninsular War in which I am unfamiliar. After the first few chapters I found I was increasingly losing interest in the plot. I found it difficult to "bond" with any of the characters. The story itself contained interesting historical narratives, but the number of characters made it difficult to follow and somewhat confusing.
Michele J. (Port Orchard, WA) (11/13/11)

Good Historical Fiction
The Tides of War is a very nice historical fiction novel which is set in England during the Peninsular War between 1812 and 1815. This is an era frequently ignored by historical fiction writers, so it was a refreshing setting. Be warned: there are a LOT of characters that pepper the pages, many of them actual historical figures, but it does make it difficult to keep track of everyone initially. Keep reading, though. As the story progresses, the characters become easier to manage and the storyline starts to take precedence. All in all, this is a lovely effort and the only thing I might have changed is moving the List of Characters page from the back of the book to the front.

• Book Jacket: Harmony
    A Gentleman in Moscow
    by Amor Towles

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Darling Days
    by iO Tillett Wright

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review