What do readers think of Opium Nation by Fariba Nawa? Write your own review.

Opium Nation

Child Brides, Drug Lords, and One Woman's Journey Through Afghanistan

by Fariba Nawa

Opium Nation by Fariba Nawa X
Opium Nation by Fariba Nawa

There is 1 reader review for Opium Nation

Donata Bozic

A great book to read
English is not my first language but that didn't stop me from reading this great book. Actually, this book pushed me to search for more information and I read two more books about Afghanistan. I wanted to know about the country and people living there, more than I heard in the news or on TV. This book opened my eyes to see how complicated things are there. Everything could be solved easy if a bunch of people are not always hungry for more and more money.
If your country has not been attacked and in the war (like mine was 30 years ago), you simply can not understand the mess, fear and everything that goes with it. If war is not happening in your country, it is always somewhere far away where „someone is killing someone“. And if it is far enough, we have a privilege of not understanding and not worrying. We think we know something because we heard it in the news, we read in the newspaper, but actually we know little or nothing about what and why. We also can not grasp historical reasons, for example: why neighbors started hating each other.
Fariba's book was like watching a personal documentary movie. I am glad she shared her experiences and told us about her family's everyday life, emphasizing women's perspective. I compare that with my life and think how would I live under different circumstances.
I admire her bravery, traveling around, investigating and telling us her story. In a way she did it for me, too, because I am sure my feet will never touch Afghanistan land.
I truly hope that in some parallel Universe Afghanistan is a happy place, where trees bend under fruits and birds chirp in the morning, kids are playing and there are no land mines everywhere.
A great book to read.

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Atomic Anna
    Atomic Anna
    by Rachel Barenbaum
    If you had the opportunity to prevent one of the world's most horrific disasters, would you? What if...
  • Book Jacket: The Colony
    The Colony
    by Audrey Magee
    The Colony opens with Mr Lloyd, a London artist, being transported to a Gaeltacht (Irish-speaking) ...
  • Book Jacket: The Return of Faraz Ali
    The Return of Faraz Ali
    by Aamina Ahmad
    In Aamina Ahmad's debut, The Return of Faraz Ali, the eponymous character is a police inspector in ...
  • Book Jacket: The Wonders
    The Wonders
    by Elena Medel
    Spanish poet Elena Medel's debut novel The Wonders (translated by Lizzie Davis and Thomas Bunstead) ...

Shadows of Berlin
by David R. Gillham
A captivating novel of a Berlin girl on the run from the guilt of her past and the boy from Brooklyn who loves her.

Fly Girl
    by Ann Hood

"Sheer pleasure. A hilarious and often moving look back at...a young woman's coming of age."
    —Dennis Lehane

Metropolis
    by B. A. Shapiro

"An ingeniously plotted hybrid social/suspense novel. Shapiro hits it out of the park."
    Shelf Awareness

Music is the pleasure the human mind experiences from counting without being aware that it is counting

T S's T Limit