Read what people think about Low Town by Daniel Polansky, and write your own review.

by Daniel Polansky

Low Town by Daniel Polansky X
Low Town by Daniel Polansky

There are currently 23 reader reviews for Low Town

Linda W. (Riverview, Florida) (07/02/11)

A great read! Daniel Polansky I am a fan!
Daniel Polansky has created a dark, gritty place filled with demons, magic, murder and treachery. He also creates characters; some menacing some complicated; all interesting and multilayerd. You care about the central characters and want them to rise above it all. I hope this will be the first of many novels to come from Mr Polansky. I am a fan.
Lenora C. (Altoona, FL) (06/28/11)

Low Town
Good descriptions. Interesting plot. I was there in Low Town. But I just didn't enjoy my visit. Perhaps Mr. Polansky's next effort will be more worth the visit.
WDH ( FL) (06/28/11)

Descriptive / Characters Need More Development
First thought - Interesting concept that lacked overall cohesiveness. The locations and people were described very well. However, there is an underlying storyline that is alluded to but left unexplored, leaving a lot of 'why' questions and the feeling that the storyline / characters could have been more fully developed to really draw the reader in. Also thought it was a bit slow to get started although it picked up towards the middle.
Kim E. (Warrenton, va) (06/20/11)

Left me with too many questions
The mystery was solid, the atmosphere was very detailed and vibrant. However, I kept waiting for the author to explain the details and the back story. How did the protagonist end up a drug dealer? The story is alluded to, but never explained. I left the story feeling unfulfilled and wondering if I had missed the explanations or if I was just supposed to accept Lowtown as presented. I wanted to like the former cop turned drug dealer, but I seemed to crave some explanation as to why he ended up running LowTown? All in all, it was interesting but I can't say I would strongly recommend this book.
Vicky S. (Torrance, CA) (06/15/11)

Great Descriptions
The author does a great job of describing the environment and I could feel that I was there while reading the story. I liked the mixture of fantasy, adventure, relationships and mystery though the writing felt a bit affected at times.
Maggie R. (Canoga Park, CA) (06/14/11)

Low Town
Elements that are interesting combine with others that are not so well developed. The result is a promising first novel by an author whose imagination should produce more consistent works over time.
Steve B. (Spring, TX) (06/10/11)

Low Rating for Low Town
I am definitely not an expert capable of evaluating literature of this genre. I am able to decide that this novel does not appeal to me. I had a hard time following the story line, probably a result of my lack of enthusiasm for a story that has a drug dealer as its hero and is set in a time and place with which I cannot relate.

I know this is David Polansky’s first novel and I wish I could enthusiastically praise his effort but I cannot.
William Y. (Lynchburg, VA) (06/09/11)

Review: Low Town -- Daniel Polansky
Tales about apocalyptic futures, parallel universes, and alternative histories, have gained considerable popularity over the last several years. Some come across as imaginative and well-written, others appeal to adolescent fantasies, and still others clutter up book racks. Unfortunately, Low Town leans strongly to the last category. A loner named Warden lives in this dark, dreary place, a setting straight out of the pulp fiction of the 1920s and 1930s, except that it bears only superficial resemblances to anything recognizable.
A rambling, shambling plot that quickly grows tiresome, along with awkward constructions, neologisms, and transitions that will try even a patient reader, reveal a lack of consistency and craft in Polansky's writing.
Given the usual high quality of Brookbrowse selections, this title served as a letdown. Since Low Town is presented as a debut novel, perhaps Polansky will redeem himself in future efforts.

Driving Miss Norma
    by Wiley Cash
    The Graybar Hotel
    by Curtis Dawkins

Harbor of Spies by Robin Lloyd

A captivating thriller-at-sea set in Spanish colonial Havana in the 1860s.

A Place for Us
    by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Book Club Giveaway!
Win If You See Me, Don't Say Hi

If You See Me, Don't Say Hi by Neel Patel

Patel's stories introduce a bold and timely new literary voice.

A P Saved I A P E