Read what people think about Doc by Mary Doria Russell, and write your own review.

Doc by Mary Doria Russell

• Published in USA  May 2011
    Genre: Historical Fiction

There is 1 reader review for Doc

Christine (06/07/11)

Wonderful read!
This may end up as one of my most-loved top 5 all-time books - who would have thought that a story about a year in the life of Doc Holliday could be so spellbinding? Mary Doria Russell gets everything right, from the very first page where she hooks you with John Henry Holliday's birth story and the love and tenaciousness of his mother Mary. From there, the gentility of the southern culture and way of life that he came from is in such sharp contrast to his life in Dodge City, Kansas and other locales out west, where he retreated to due to his tuberculosis, the same disease which takes his young mother from him at age 15. In 1878 Dodge, we encounter a murder mystery, the Earp brothers like we've never known them, Big-Nosed Kate, a Austrian Jesuit priest and a whole host of gunslingers, cowboys, prostitutes, a Chinese laundryman and entrepreneur and politicians of every stripe. The writing is almost musical in it's lyricism and the relationships and characters are so finely sculpted, it is a story and a book you won't soon forget.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Hillbilly Elegy

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Lola
    by Melissa Scrivner Love

An astonishing debut crime thriller about an unforgettable woman.

Our Short History
    by Lauren Grodstein

No pleasure is worth giving up for the sake of two more years in a geriatric home.

O My D B