Read what people think about A Discovery of Witches by Deborah E. Harkness, and write your own review.

A Discovery of Witches

by Deborah E. Harkness

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah E. Harkness X
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah E. Harkness

There are currently 3 reader reviews for A Discovery of Witches

Marge Vallazza

Wow!!! What a surprise
I have to admit I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. When I first learnt of it, I thought it would be an interesting read but "OMG!" what a wonderful surprise. It contains soooo much incredibly interesting stuff--research at the Bodlian Library (or is it Bodley?), castles in France, sculling on the river in Cambridge, witchcraft and magic (but not in a way that would offend ME (a longtime BAC). There's love and romance and sex between the protagonists and relationships with their family members.

I've only recently (since early summer of 2010) become interested in paranormal romance (such as the Twilight Saga, which I LOVE!!!). But this book was such a delightful read and surprise--best of all it's the first of a TRILOGY!!!! Hurrah!!!! Can't wait for the others to come out. Exceptional writing, too!
MCC 115304

Shouldn't A Discovery of Witches Be a Witch Story
If you are looking for a great witch read this might be a pass, but as a vampire story laced with historical accuracy and futuristic DNA research, it is very well done. I say four stars overall (or maybe four moons to honor fellow witches), deducting just one for the misleading title. Have a dictionary handy; some of the terms are not self described.
Kelli Robinson

Good Contemporary Paranormal Fiction
I waffled back and forth between 3 stars and 4 stars and settled ultimately on 3 stars. I prefer the Anne Rice world of witches and vampires to the Stephenie Meyer or Charlaine Harris worlds. I like my paranormal universes to be dark and I don't mind a story steeped in history - even history of science. With that said, I found the Deborah Harkness world of witches and vampires to be closer to Anne Rice albeit much lighter but pleasantly heavy on the history. I suspect I may enjoy All Souls Trilogy #2, Shadow of Night, even better as it looks like it will be even heavier on the history. After having become convinced that all contemporary paranormal fiction was a lost cause, I'm happy to have discovered Matthew, Diana and the work of Deborah Harkness.

• Book Jacket: Circe
    by Anjali Sachdeva
  • Book Jacket: Look Alive Out There
    Look Alive Out There
    by Sloane Crosley
    After a brief (and thoroughly enjoyable) foray into fiction (with her 2015 novel The Clasp), Sloane ...
  • Book Jacket: Winter Sisters
    Winter Sisters
    by Robin Oliveira
    Winter Sisters begins with an epic blizzard (see Beyond the Book) hitting the entire Northeast of ...

Music of the Ghosts by Vaddey Ratner

Other People's Houses
    by Abbi Waxman

Win The Leavers

The Leavers by Lisa Ko

One of the most anticipated books of 2017--now in paperback!

T E H N Clothes