Read what people think about The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier, and write your own review.

The Brief History of the Dead

by Kevin Brockmeier

The Brief History of the Dead

• Published in USA  Jan 2007

There are currently 2 reader reviews for The Brief History of the Dead

Power Reviewer Kelli Robinson (11/25/14)

Intriguing Premise
This was a reread for me. The premise of the book is so intriguing: a story split between a city of the "living dead" who only remain in the city as long as someone on Earth holds that person in their memory and a wildlife researcher in the Antarctica who may be the only person on Earth who has not yet succumbed to a man-made virus. On my second reading, I did a better job of tracking all the myriad connections between the many living dead and the still-alive wildlife researcher - however tangential those connections might be. What did not happen, however, is a change in my ultimate opinion for the book. I was definitely satisfied but nothing more.
Michael (05/25/14)

Seven Years Later and I'm Still Thinking About This Book
I picked this book up out of my high school library when I was sixteen. It caught my attention on the first page and I devoured the entire thing in a day. I often find myself thinking about this book and telling people about it because it is so captivating. A real feast for the mind. It honestly scared the pants off of me a few times, but not in the typical hokey "jump" sort of way. But a genuine creeped out, scared of the unknown feeling. The way he describes the transition from life into death left me breathless. I truly love this book and it's wormed it's way into my mind and will be there for years to come.

• Book Jacket: I Contain Multitudes
    My Name Is Leon
    by Kit De Waal

The Tea Planter's Wife
    by Dinah Jefferies

An utterly engrossing, compulsive page-turner set in 1920s Ceylon.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Win Blood at the Root

Blood at the Root

"A gripping, timely, and important examination of American racism."
- PW Starred Review