Read what people think about A Simple Act of Gratitude by John Kralik, and write your own review.

A Simple Act of Gratitude

How Learning to Say Thank You Changed My Life

by John Kralik

A Simple Act of Gratitude by John Kralik

• Published in USA  Dec 2011
    Genre: Biographies & Memoirs

There are currently 21 reader reviews for A Simple Act of Gratitude

Rhonda M. (Concord, OH) (04/13/11)

Just average for an inspirational book
There are so many books out there that are similar to this one that it did not move me as others have. The writer did find a way to uplift his spirit and it did make me think about all the things I should be grateful for and do not thank people for. But emotionally I never really felt his sadness or frustration. He didn't have the ability to touch inside of me. In spite of that I do think it was a good book for those that like this kind of book and it will make you take a moment and think about your life. But a lot of it seemed coincidental.
Nancy R. (Johnson City, TN) (04/13/11)

365 Thank Yous
Wow! I almost read this book in one sitting. It was so good--inspirational, but not in a didactic, overtly spiritual, hit you over the head kind of way. It's one of those books that you (okay I) can definitely relate to. How often do we dwell on the not so wonderful parts of our lives, when we really have so very much to be thankful for. It isn't until we stop and really take the time to think that we realize what is good and precious in our lives. But author John Kralik takes it one step further--he actually puts pen to paper and begins to thank the people around him for kindnesses large and small. And as he does, something happens. Is it his circumstances that change, or is it that he changes how he thinks about his circumstances? You have to read the book to find out (cheesy, I know). But the coolest part about reading the book was that I began to think about myself, my own circumstances, and the people whom I would/could/should thank for their presence in my life and the kindnesses they have shown, great and small. Now I just need to follow through... This is definitely worth reading.
David L. (Taft, CA) (04/12/11)

Thank Goodness There's Only 365 Days in a Year
A remarkable concept, this “thank you” for every day of a year; an idea which summons up hopes for a new civility, extended kindnesses, and a much better world. These were my hopes anyway, and while they are not quite dashed, they are severely wounded. Mr. Kralik, the author, is an attorney who, at the onset, begs the reader to have sympathy for him because he is being sued in a system he admits being, “a plain example of how legal proceedings can become the circle of hatred, in which each vicious legal move is countered by an even more malevolent one, until everyone is out of money.” Immediately my hackles are raised, and I am in an alert mode. Suspicion runs rampant across my thoughts, but I am willing to continue. I should have quit while still able to suspend my belief, for it is only a page later where he reveals, “…too often I was still just the vehicle whereby clients conveyed hatred, sought retribution, and inflicted pain on their fellow men and women.” A few sentences farther, “To me, the work was too often best done when I got in touch with my inner evil core.” The die has been cast for me.

This book is one man’s attempt to secure indulgences and buy his way out of purgatory. His is a long and ponderous chain, and he continues to add links as he admits that he has received so much more back from those he sent notes to. The promises I found in the title are fully undermined by the end of the book where he writes, “I still don’t believe I changed…” Neither do I.
Pam C. (Lafayette, CA) Owner Hooked on Books (04/06/11)

365 Thank Yous was one of the most uplifting and inspirational books I have read in a long while. I started it one afternoon and got up early the next morning to finish it and was so disappointed when it ended! As I read the book, I began my own mental list of the thank you notes that I need to send. This book, though, is about more than writing the notes. It is about what we have in our lives to be grateful for and how remembering those things and people can be transformational. If you only read one inspiring book this year, this should be the one! Then go buy a box of thank you notes.
Marissa P. (Tarrytown, NY) (04/05/11)

Uplifting and Heartfelt
This is the story of a man who was suffering in every area of his life, his law firm was struggling to make ends meet and he felt there was nothing positive for him to experience until he decided one day to write 365 thank you notes to people he had contact with either through work or everyday life. This is a triumphant book and a must read.

• Book Jacket: Before We Sleep
    by Kate Moore

Win News of the World

The Gypsy Moth Summer
    by Julia Fierro

One of the most anticipated books of 2017.

T's S I Numbers