Read what people think about My Jane Austen Summer by Cindy Jones, and write your own review.

A Season in Mansfield Park

by Cindy Jones

My Jane Austen Summer by Cindy Jones

• Published in USA  Mar 2011

There are currently 23 reader reviews for My Jane Austen Summer

Gina W. (Thomasville, AL) (03/09/11)

Very disappointed.
My Jane Austen Summer was not a book that I would recommend to someone. The main character lived too much in Jane Austen's "world". Dialogue was too imaginary. Author's main character compared real people situations to situation or people in Jane's world. Not enjoyable to me. The title attracted me, because I am a Jane Austen fan. I was disappointed.
Barbara R. (Lander, WY) (03/08/11)

A Good Idea
I really like the idea behind My Jane Austen Summer. I tried to overcome my initial negative reaction to a main character who stalks her ex-boyfriend. I could never connect with Lily, who has the emotional maturity and judgment of a thirteen year old. The other characters were only superficially developed. The book was a disappointment.
Kimberli M. (Jessup, MD) (03/06/11)

A Good Read
I really enjoyed this book. Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors. It was interesting how Jones interwove details of Mansfield Park into a modern story. The characters are well thought out and entertaining. I would recommend this book to others.
Skye (St Louis, MO) (02/26/11)

Mixed Reaction
I just recently started reading Jane Austen and Jane Austen-related books and was excited to get this one. The main plot line seemed interesting, but I found there were too many departures to side/background stories that were not value-added to convince me to really like the book. Would I recommend it? Probably would, but only as a light, quick read for easy entertainment.
Selene M. (West Chicago, IL) (02/22/11)

No Mansfield Park!
If you are looking for something reminiscent of Mansfield Park. This isn't it. Although the book was fairly fast reading, I was not engaged by any of the characters especially Lily Berry, the protagonist. Equally parts whiny and self-pitying, her gradual transformation into a somewhat interesting individual is not enough for me to recommend this book.
Rita H. (Centennial, CO) (02/22/11)

My Jane Austen Summer
One feels a bit sorry for Lily who never seems to get it right in the romance department. Her love affair with Jane Austen is also slightly askew. But, she has great hopes for her summer in England with a cast re-living Mansfield Park. This book is a relaxing read and perfect for the beach or a snow day. I would recommend it to the reader who wants an escape book or a sweet story.
Liz M. (Morristown, NJ) (02/21/11)

My Jane Austen Summer
This is a great book for lovers of Jane Austen. It combines a modern day woman's dilemma's with heroines situations from the novels, Mansfield Park in particular. This would be a fun book club read or a great beach read.
Stephanie W. (Hudson, OH) (02/20/11)

If you have to ask...
At one point in this novel, the protagonist, Lily, turns to a friend and asks, "Am I needy?" He responds that "if you have to ask..." Well this book made me feel like I was that friend, uncomfortable in answering a question that is obvious to everyone else. Lily has plenty of reasons to be needy. She has just lost her mother, her boyfriend and her confidence in her father. She believes that living in a Jane Austen Novel and imagining Jane as her mentor, friend and confidant will help her come to grips with her life. It should have been a fun read, but I just got tired of dealing with her. The book has a plot full of exciting happenings and kept me reading despite my disdain for our heroine. But if you are a Jane Austen fan, I think there are better books for your book club to find.

Discover your next great read here

• Book Jacket: Music of the Ghosts

The Nest
by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good and not quite all the time

Y S M B, I'll S Y