Read what people think about Emily, Alone by Stewart O'Nan, and write your own review.

Emily, Alone

by Stewart O'Nan

Emily, Alone by Stewart O'Nan

• Published in USA  Mar 2011

There is 1 reader review for Emily, Alone

Mij Woodward (12/27/11)

Mij, Alone, Appreciated This Book
I should not have liked this book at all, as the action is so SLOW. Actually, to say there is any action at all is a misnomer. It's really the interior life of an 80-year-old woman facing her death, looking at her life, her children's and grandchildren's lives.

I believe O'Nan purposely made this a slow sort of uneventful read. Because that atmosphere helps present the life of an older person, dealing with the mundane, no longer in the midst of a lot of action (like raising kids).

The chapter that moved me the most was toward the end, when she visits her home-town, at her parents' graves, and contemplates moving back.

I now go around thinking of myself as Mij, Alone. Mij, Alone, is doing all right. I am 13 years younger than the character of Emily, but many of the things she experienced and thought about resonated with me. The chapter when Emily waits for her kids to call on Mother's Day--so right on.

Although I am now looking forward to reading a book with more action (Caleb's Crossing), I am very grateful Stewart O'Nan wrote this book. Emily has helped prepare me for what all of us have to go through--getting older and dying.

Discover your next great read here

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

The Stars Are Fire
    by Anita Shreve

No One Is Coming to Save Us
    by Stephanie Powell Watts

One of Entertainment Weekly, Nylon and Elle's most anticipated books of 2017.

Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering.

Y S M B, I'll S Y