Read what people think about The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman, and write your own review.

by Laura Lippman

• Published in USA  Jan 2011
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 33 reader reviews for The Girl in the Green Raincoat

Rebecca G. (havertown, pa) (10/31/10)

What Mystery
As a lover of long, lengthy drama filled books, I am always looking for the short, sweet, entertaining books that give me a breather in between tragedies. My guilty pleasure is Sue Grafton and others like her. This book held the promise of that kind of refreshment. It's short (I read it in afternoon), kind of sweet but it stopped short of being very entertaining. It was superficial and predictable and left me wondering if I had actually figured everything out before I even started reading. Perhaps if I already had a relationship with the detective Tess Monaghan, I might have forgiven some of the short comings. I am wondering if Laura Lippman has the potential to be my next breath of fresh air between novels and I will give her another chance but, as a mystery, this one left me scratching my head.
MK (St Louis, MO) (10/31/10)

Review of "The Girl in the Green Raincoat"
This book seems to be an outline of a story set in Baltimore. The tale progresses with abrupt announcements of developments, but there is no story development. Quite simply, the writing is poor.
This was my introduction to Laura Lippman's fiction. Since the cover reads, "A Tess Monaghan Novel," it appears to be a series. I wouldn't recommend this title to anyone.
Margaret R. (Atlanta, GA) (10/29/10)

the girl with the Green Raincoat
This is a thoroughly enjoyable novella with a "RearWindow" twist. The character development in Tess Monaghan from a reluctant expectant mother to a loving caring one is an interesting addition to the "Bluebeard" mystery. I am looking forward to reading more of Tess, Crow and their daughter and how their lives have changed. Here's hoping she keeps on detecting!
Power Reviewer Madeline M. (Sarasota, FL) (10/29/10)

The Girl in the Green Raincoat
I'm a big fan of Laura Lippman, especially her stand alone novels. I enjoyed this Tess Monaghan story - it's deceptively short and simple, but it's layered not only with the mystery itself but also with themes of the various kinds of love out there in the world and all the people who bring it into our lives. It's got a snappy style with engaging characters. I also liked the Author's Insight pages at the back of the book.
Power Reviewer Anna R. (Oak Ridge, TN) (10/29/10)

Fun Read.
I haven't read anything by Laura Lippman before but now I am a fan. The Girl in the Green Raincoat is a fun read. It is full of wonderful characters, and an unusual plot with the pregnant woman being able to solve the mystery from her spot in the sunporch. I loved this book and it will be a great summer read for my book group.
Power Reviewer Sue J. (Wauwatosa, WI) (10/28/10)

The Girl in the Green Raincoat
This is my first encounter I've had with Tess Monaghan, the strong-willed former reporter tuned PI. Laura Lippman is a good storyteller, it was a fun light read. The plot was unusual and the characters were interesting. I would recommend this book if you like mysteries.
Vivian Q. (Greer, SC) (10/28/10)

Engaging Read
It's been a long while since I visited with Tess Monaghan and her beloved city of Baltimore. A short novella, reminiscent of Rear Window, that was a quick and easy read. Bedridden in her final months of pregnancy, Tess watches a woman in a green raincoat walk her dog in the park across the street everyday. When she doesn't show up for a few days and her dog is found loose in the park, Tess is determined to find out what happened to her. I was immediately pulled into the story. An engaging read, whose ending I never saw coming.
Eileen F. (Drexel Hill, PA) (10/27/10)

Rear Window
This book was short and very enjoyable. it was filled with charismatic characters who I didn't want to leave. The story is familiar with some surprising twists but the people kept you moving forward.

• Book Jacket: The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko