Read what people think about The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman, and write your own review.

by Laura Lippman

• Published in USA  Jan 2011
    Genre: Mysteries

There are currently 33 reader reviews for The Girl in the Green Raincoat

Irene M. (Ashland, OR) (11/10/10)

A New Lippman Mystery
Tess Monaghan, private investigator, has been put to bed for two months by her doctor. What she sees from her bedroom window, is at first curiosity, and then alarm for "The Girl in the Green Raincoat." Laura Lippman gives us a good mystery with a surprising twist at the conclusion of the story.
I enjoyed this novel enough to track down Lippman's earlier books and I know I will enjoy reading more of Tess' earlier adventures.
This book will be enjoyed by mystery fans everywhere.
Carol N. (San Jose, CA) (11/09/10)

The Girl in the Green Raincoat - Laura Lippman
Having read Lippman’s “What the Dead Know, “ I was anxious to read another one of her creations. “The Girl in the Green Raincoat is a “Rear Window” reincarnation. This Alfred Hitchcock mode novel places a very pregnant, bed-confined private investigator, Tess Monaghan, in the center of a conundrum. The story is full of interesting/quirky characters that not only fit the story but also keep it moving, however, the ending was a bit too obvious and very predictable for my purposes. This quick little read is perfect for a lazy afternoon’s entertainment.
Lynn R. (Wautoma, WI) (11/09/10)

The Girl in the Green Raincoat
I was really looking forward to reading this book from the description they gave when I was able to choose it. But I was disappointed. It was't a bad book, it just was't a good book. Tess, the main character was described as a intelligent person, but she didn't act like one. For her to get that obsessed with someone she didn't know and in such a short time just didn't seem real.
Katherine D. (Gilford, NH) (11/09/10)

Only an average read
This a quick and easy mystery, good for a lazy afternoon but lacks depth. A woman on bedrest watches out the window and sees a woman in a green raincoat walk her dog across the street every day. When she doesn't show up, the woman is determined to find out what happened. The plot was a little far-fetched and I found myself not caring what happened. Lippman is a great writer- I loved I'd Know You Anywhere. This novella is not her best.
Power Reviewer Daniel A. (Naugatuck, CT) (11/08/10)

The Girl in the Green Raincoat
This was the first Laura Lippman story I ever read, but it won't be the last; it captured my attention from the very first page and I was hooked until the very last page. It was a definite page-turner that I couldn't put down. The author is quite talented and it is evident through all the awards she has won. I highly recommend this novella.
Beth P. (Chester, VA) (11/07/10)

The Girls in the Green Raincoat
I want to start out by saying that I am a huge Laura Lippman fan, having read many of her stand alone novels. This novella, a small book that first appeared in serial form in the New York Times magazine, is part of her popular Tess Monaghan series. I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of that series and maybe that is why I found the book to be just "ok". Put on bed rest for the last 2 months of her pregnancy, Tess has only a window to look out of, and sees a girl in a green raincoat walking her greyhound everyday. One day the dog appears, but the woman no longer is with him, and Tess's curious nature is on alert and ready to solve the mystery. The author did have a great twist in it, but I found myself unable to care much about the characters and that is a must for me. For those of you who are die hard Tess Monaghan fans, you may see it differently. For me, it was a disappointment.
Helen M. (Petaluma, CA) (11/01/10)

Novellas can be difficult
This was my first Laura Lippman and I will read more. "The Girl in the Green Raincoat" develops very nicely with clearly drawn characters. They were my favorite part. Tess, the main character, was a stretch at times, especially at the unveiling of the "mystery". For me, that was the weak point in the book. In my opinion the clarity Ms Lippman demonstrated in developing the plot was lost at the end. It felt scrambled and I felt a little cheated. Did the length she choose for the book help or hurt? Hurt. Are her characters fun and really developed ... yes. So I think a 3 out of 5 is fair for this book.
Amy H. (Benbrook, TX) (10/31/10)

Impressive Effort for Novella
As a fan of Rear Window, I was anxious to read The Girl in the Green Raincoat, and I was not disappointed. Although the climax was predictable regarding Carole coming back into the picture and at the same time Tess going into labor, I was pleased with the character development which can be challenging for a novella. I enjoyed the peripheral characters as well, particularly Lloyd and Crow, and Tess's father. I will be looking for more books by her, and got the impression that these characters have appeared in previous books by Lippmann.

• Book Jacket: Holding Up the Universe
    The Guineveres
    by Sarah Domet

Win All the Gallant Men

All The Gallant Men

The first memoir by a USS Arizona survivor, 75 years after Pearl Harbor.

K Y Eyes P